Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Current Events -- No Oil, No Bakken, Rambling -- May 30, 2023

Locator: 44797ARCH.   

Cape Cod: when we lived in Belmont, a suburb west of Boston, one of our favorite weekend trips was to drive up US Highway 6 the length of Cape Cod to Provincetown. I see that billionaire Bill Koch has put eleven acres of his Cape Cod holdings on the market for about $16 million. It is estimated he owns about forty acres of land on Cape Cod. Downsizing at age 83. $16 million / $1.6 billion net worth = 1% of his net worth. The non-ocean-front acreage is on the elbow, Osterville, northeast of Martha's Vineyard, the island across Nantucket Sound from the peninsula. 

Dina Powell McCormick, 49 years old, moving out of government and Goldman Sachs into "private practice." Great article in The WSJ today, and more background at wiki.

Elizabeth Holmes, ten years younger than McCormick reports to prison in Texas today, and will be a year older than McCormick is now when she completes her 11-year sentence, though I assume she will be released early for good behavior and on humanitarian grounds (she has two very young children). No links; story everywhere; beat to death (the story, not Elizabeth).

Grandstanding: apparently the B-M debt ceiling bill will be "released" from a US House committee within the next twelve hours and the US House will vote on the bill, most likely pass it, and, if so, forward the bill to the US Senate. 

It looks like the US Senate will have plenty of time to consider the bill. If the "x-date" is June 5, 2023, that means the "heavy lifting" for June has been done: the military active duty and military pensioners have been paid. The US Senate won't prevent checks from going to seniors on social security, those who vote in lopsided numbers, unlike children and infants who don't vote at all. 

I suppose it will be a "game of chicken" -- see how close "they" can came before they reach "x-hour." I guess June 5 is next Monday so they can do some last minute things this week, then back to the House to line up the two versions over the weekend and have it on the president's desk on Monday.

Photo op Monday, June 5, 2023.

*****************************
Investing

Over the weekend I started thinking about investing in TSLA. Earlier in the week or over the weekend (I forget) I posted the four reasons why TSLA has really excited me. I've never invested in TSLA but I'm pretty sure by the end of June, 2023, I will be a TSLA investor. It would be nice to have a bit more granularity, as they say, with regard to the Tesla pick-up.

There's a lot of buzz right now regarding the Cybertruck, and without question, TSLA will pop when we see VIN ID TSLA000000001 roll out of the Giga Texas manufacturing plant. I won't be buying TSLA as a trader or a short-term investment. I have a rolling 30-year horizon.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here.

All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them

Again, all my posts are done quickly. There will be typographical and content errors in all my posts. If any of my posts are important to you, go to the source

***********************
QCOM

The last year or so has not been good for QCOM, like many of the beat-down tech companies. 

Over the last five days, up 11.5% and today, up 5%. 

Compare with AVGO: up 16.5% over the last five days; down 1% today, but the last six months, up 45%.

No comments:

Post a Comment