Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Reservation Accounts For One-Third Of North Dakota's Oil Output -- November 18, 2014

In a story about a new bypass around New Town, North Dakota, this bit of trivia:
Oil production on the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation accounts for one-third of the state’s daily output.  The money the MHA Nation receives from production is reinvested in the five segments on the Reservation, including the North Segment which includes New Town.  The new highway routes will open more opportunities for retail, light commercial and residential developments in the next two years.
*****************************
A Note to the Granddaughters

I see that the Barnes and Noble bookstore in Sundance Square, the center of downtown and recently "renovated" Ft Worth, will close, or more precisely, has closed.

My wife and I love Barnes and Noble, going there, on average 1.5 times/week, and during the holiday season, probably twice a week on average. We go to the one in Southlake, TX, a bit northeast of Ft Worth.

Barnes and Noble is pretty much the only national brick-and-mortar bookstore left, I think -- Borders closed some time ago. I don't know how Barnes and Noble can keep going either. We support them all we can, including the $25 annual loyalty card that provides 10% discount on all purchases.

Yesterday, I found three books that I will buy for as holiday gifts (and I will buy a lot more before it's all over). At Barnes and Noble they are priced at $40; $29.95; and, $24.95 before the 10% discount; about $85.

At Amazon, the respective prices are: $24; $20.95; and, $19.95. And there will be enough in my shipment to get free shipping (I think free shipping now requires $75 but I could be wrong; I forget; but that won't be difficult); about $65. It's not a big savings, but that's only three items, and when I saw the $40 book going for $24 at Amazon .... 

No comments:

Post a Comment