Friday, December 6, 2013

My Sweet Lord: Worse Ice Storm In Years Developing -- For The Warmists And The Archives

Where folks will be spending the weekend, this icy weekend:

Blue Hotel, Chris Isaak
Another great song to play loudly, especially the instrumental portion at the end. 
Limbic system: Willie Nelson meets David Lynch.

AccuWeather is reporting:
An ice storm will continue to affect millions of people into Friday and threaten to cut power for hundreds of thousands from northern Texas to western Kentucky.
Travel by vehicle or foot will be dangerous during and after the storm, due to icy roads and falling trees and power lines. The power could be out for days in hard-hit areas. In some locations hit by ice, temperatures will dip into the single digits and teens in the storm's wake, causing wet and slushy areas to freeze solid and adding to the hardship for those without heat.
*************************
A Note to the Granddaughters

This was the e-mail I sent my wife (who is out in southern, sunny California for the holidays). I wrote this from a Starbucks northeast of Ft Worth, TX:
I woke up late, getting up about 7:15 a.m.
I woke up to what looks like 2 inches of snow. It is 28 degrees.
I rode my bike into Snowbucks. The coffee shop should be filled by now but I was the second person here ... so I got my usual seat.
It is incredibly easy to ride through the snow; there is almost no traffic.
However, in the parking lots, and the intersections, the snow changes to two inches of very, very dense, maybe four inches deep of SLUSH. Inexperienced riders would not be able to ride in the slush. I can ride through some of it; but have to walk through some of it. It is too thick / dense to move through. [I did not have snow tires; and if I had, it would be too much trouble to change -- maybe front tire.]
Absolutely no wind, so it feels very, very mild. Everything is shut down in Dallas. Everything canceled.
Kiri's husband is stranded in Calgary, Alberta, Canada -- the airport is closed. So he won't come home this weekend. Kiri is off today, but she goes in Saturday and Sunday.
I will be with Arianna and Olivia all day both days. I will spend the day in kitchen teaching Olivia to cook. We are going to do vegetarian dishes, lots of broccoli, three-bean salads, green bean casserole, etc.
No more precipitation forecast; the slush will become deep ruts as cars drive through it all day. I will have coffee and breakfast here at Snowbucks. Then halfway home, stop at McDonald's for lunch, and then home, maybe get to Sonic across from where we live for dinner.
Bruce
The stuff about teaching Olivia to cook vegetarian is an inside joke; she does all she can to avoid anything green.

No comments:

Post a Comment