Monday, January 2, 2012

Bakken Weather -- Dazed and Confused

I'm not there, so I really don't know, but looking at the 7-day weather forecast and listening to the national weather report talking of an Arctic cold front coming through, it certainly looks like Williston is going to have a nice week. It looks like the Arctic blast will miss Williston.

It gets a bit cool in Williston tomorrow, but then on Thursday, the highs will be near 50 (47) and still at 36 on Friday. Each day of nice weather in the Bakken is one day closer to spring.

And even here in Boston, they say it won't be that bad.

By the way, weather forecasters are actually mentioning the phrase "wind chill" -- remember the earlier post and the earlier announcement that the NWS in Bismarck, North Dakota, would not be reporting the "wind chill" this year.

It appears that either the NWS got a lot of grief over that, or their announcement was misinterpreted. This link says it was a "rumor" but in fact, if it was a rumor it was started by the NWS itself (same link):
The National Weather Service in Bismarck says it won't be issuing wind chill values this winter. [cut and paste; can't be much clearer than that]

Instead, the weather service will issue "extreme cold" statements when the actual temperature and wind combine to make it feel like 30-35 below zero across a wide area for several hours.

Harlyn Wetzel, meteorologist for the weather service in Bismarck, said the change in delivering the winter weather information is an experiment of sorts and people can participate in an online survey to tell the service if they like the changes - or if they don't like them.

Wetzel said one reason for the change is that many times in North Dakota, winter weather can be dangerously cold with little or no wind.
That sounds pretty clear to me.

What Part of No Don't You Understand? Lorrie Morgan

Regardless of the facts, the NWS, apparently, will continue to report the wind chill.

********************

This is why I love to blog! Absolutely incredible. On another one of my blogs, I argue that 1969 was the best year for music. 1969. Period. Dot. I'm always looking for songs from 1969 to prove my point.

Then out of the blue, tonight I get a comment in which "anonymous" says he/she is confused.

And there it was: "Dazed and Confused" by Led Zeppelin, released in 1969 on their DEBUT album. What are the odds!


Dazed and Confused, Led Zeppelin


Having said that, this is still THE Led Zeppelin classic, released in 1970:


Whole Lotta Love, Led Zeppelin


A huge "thank you" to whomever was confused.

6 comments:

  1. I'm confused. Are you and Joe Bastardi still predicting 30 to 40 degree lower than average temps for this winter in ND? No? Gee what happened ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great weather, isn't it? I'm lovin' every minute of it.

    Predictions are before the season starts, not during the season.

    I can't remember now, but I don't think I made any predictions; maybe I did; I honestly can't remember but it's not my style to predict; usually just report, but I could be wrong.

    I think I was just reporting what the furry little caterpillars were predicting. And if you asked the furry little caterpillars they would say winter's not over yet.

    Glad to see you are still following the blog. I figured I lost you long ago with my crazy postings.

    It's going to be a huge 2012. Oil futures are up $1.40 this evening; and I've finally figured out the reason for all the crude-by-rail terminals. No one has commented on that subject yet.

    I will be doing a stand-alone post on that shortly. Stay tuned. It will be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1969, yes definitely the best year for music as proven and confirmed by Woodstock, but I'm a baby boomer too. But even the kids that grew up with 80's music admit that the 80s were bad. They all still listen to the 60's and early 70's music too, timeless classics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know I am biased because 1969 was a big year for me -- but there truly is something about 1969 that seems to stand out.

    I believe the Beatles released their last two albums in 1969, or something like that. From wiki:

    "Abbey Road is the eleventh studio album released by the English rock band The Beatles and their last recorded. Although Let It Be was the last album released before the band's dissolution in 1970, work on Abbey Road began in April 1969. Abbey Road was released on 26 September 1969 in the United Kingdom, and 1 October 1969 in the United States."

    So, Woodstock as one bookend, the Beatles as another bookend. All the other great music. So, again, I try to remove my bias, but I certainly think it's hard to argue with 1969.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't find long range forecasts for North Dakota but the fifteen day Minneapolis forecast is for Minneapolis is mild. The ground was bare, we got a couple of inches of snow but we expect forty in a couple of days so that will melt.

    http://www.myforecast.com/bin/expanded_forecast_15day.m?city=20682&metric=false

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, a most interesting winter, so far. And, despite this, natural gas is up today.

    ReplyDelete