Saturday, November 12, 2016

Highlight Of The Day -- Tabula Rasa -- Nothing About The Bakken

I don't have all his albums (CDs) but I have a fairly large collection.

I had not heard of him until 2002, or thereabouts.

It takes me back to Yorkshire. Ripon Cathedral, to be specific.

I doubt one out of a 100 folks reading this have heard of him. It was only through a bit of serendipity that I learned of him. I guess that's why the Romans had a gazillion gods. Only "gods" could explain the mysteriousness of life.

It was my personal goddess of serendipity ("Sarah" for short) who introduced me to Arvo Pärt.

So, today, in the print edition of The Wall Street Journal: "The Physics of a Breakup: a spare, three-minute piano piece composed by Arvo Pärt consoles a distraught scientist."

This is a regular feature in the "Review" section of the Saturday edition of The Wall Street Journal: playlist. Each Saturday, some expert or famous personality in his/her field expounds on a piece of music he/she enjoys. Today, Carlo Rovelli, 60, an Italian theoretical physicist at Aix-Marseille University in France and a founder of the loop quantum gravity theory expounds on Arvo Pärt.

Rovelli was intrigued by Pärt's Für Alina. But today, on day T+4, Pärt's Tabula Rasa seems more appropriate. Tabula Rasa translates as "clean slate."

Tabula Rasa, Arvo Pärt

My favorite Arvo Pärt symphony is Te Deum.

****************************
Honestly?

The New York Times publisher vows to rededicate the newspaper to reporting honestly.

Maybe I will be able to read the front page again.

Honestly.

I can't make this stuff up. Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment