Sunday, August 3, 2014

KOG To Receive New Unit Corp. BOSS Drilling Rig -- August 3, 2014

In its very, very short 2Q14 quarterly conference earnings call, KOG mentioned that it would soon be receiving its first Unit Corp. BOSS drilling rig later this year in the Bakken. This is the rig.

TulsaWorld is reporting:
Tulsa-based Unit Corp. on Wednesday unveiled its new BOSS drilling rig, a high-tech platform designed to take advantage of technological advancements and meet the needs of a drilling industry that has evolved to a focus on mile-long horizontal wells through shale and other dense rock. The unveiling took place at Unit's yard in Oklahoma City.
The rig name stands for box-on-box self-stacking, reflecting the way the rig can quickly be torn down, moved and rebuilt at a new well site. The process can be completed in less than three days.
From NewsOK, February 27, 2014:
Tulsa-based Unit Corp. this week unveiled the industry’s newest high-tech rig, known as the BOSS, which is short for box-on-box self stacking. The platform follows similar upgrades on rigs by Tulsa-based Helmerich & Payne Inc., Oklahoma City-based Cactus Drilling Co. and others.
************************************
A Note for the Granddaughters

Before leaving southern California, our granddaughters each gave me a card thanking us for a wonderful vacation.


The older granddaughter's card included a sketch of a "book-tree." It has endless amount of symbolism. She and I, back in Boston, spent many hours up in her favorite "climbing" tree, sitting among the limbs, reading books. She used that memory to create the sketch.

Note the books:
  • I-98: she must have been listening when I discussed my blog story about I-98
  • Ten Blogs: somehow she knows that I have several blogs
  • Fish: her memories of the two of us fishing in Texas and California
  • Sailing Handbook: something she is studying to go on a global sailing trip with her dad
  • The Beatles: our favorite albums
  • Baken (sic) Oil
At the bottom of the tree is a chess board; we've all enjoyed learning to play chess. And, of course, the Apple laptop computer on top of the chess board. 

2 comments:

  1. The card! It's Beyond lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to say that I was overwhelmed when I saw it, would be an understatement. I see a number of "things" in the card that I didn't see the first time, and I'm not even sure our granddaughter was aware -- for example, apples hang from the limb by a "stem." The little stems from which the books hang, look very much like book markers, and in fact, that's what I thought they were at first, but now I realize they are "stems."

      In one picture, this granddaughter has captured "everything" we have done together as granddaughter/grandfather.

      Thank you for giving me another chance to look at it again, and see things I had not seen in it before.

      Delete