Monday, June 18, 2012

Williston Alumni Memories: Central School --> Low-Income Housing

Link to InsideClimate News/Dickinson Press.

Central School will be converted to low-income housing.

I have a lot of memories from this school. A lot.

#1: the "aroma" emanating from the dining hall. It was my first experience with school lunch programs, and it was not a good experience. (No offense to all the wonderful workers.) My mother was so wonderful to pack a lunch that I liked: an apple and a Velveeta processed yellow slide of cheese between two pieces of white, enriched bread in a little brown bag. I do not recall what I had to drink but I assume it was water in a reusable container. My closest friend and I would walk about four blocks to a park and eat our lunch together, even on the coldest winter days.

#2: Mr Thue

#3: Mr Privratsky (spelling). I do believe there are some Privratsky wells in the Bakken.

#4: The wonderful teacher, whom I never recall meeting but who was still actively teaching at the time, who drove that old black Model A or T Ford; I believe she was the inspiration for Miss Geraldine Grundy. By the way, I now understand a bit more about "Ms Grundy" in literature. I never made the connection before; and I don't know if the Archie creators were aware.

#5: the news of President Kennedy's assassination

#6: losing opportunity to edit the school newspaper to a most wonderful fellow student, Katie Hagan

No comments:

Post a Comment