Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Syrian-Lebanese in North Dakota

Some years ago I was fortunate enough to run across a hardback copy of The Syrian-Lebanese in North Dakota, by William C. Sherman, Paul L. Whitney, and John Guerrero, c. 2002.

It  has always been one of my most treasured books and sits in an prominent place on my living room bookshelves.

I have always enjoyed it.

But now, returning to the book this past week (before the Egyptian protests broke out), I have found a new pleasure going through this book: looking for the names in the book associated with the names of oil wells in the Bakken.

The authors included the names of those who donated money to assist in the publication of this book.


One of the names was "Dan Kalil - Kalil Farms." The Kalil family lived across the street from us in Williston; all those years I never knew their heritage. They were great friends, and every so often we would see a huge grain truck in front of their house.

Two other donors were "Vernon Owan - Owan Family Members" and Charles and Rose Owan - Owan Family Members." You will find several wells northwest of Williston with the Owan name. Through serendipity, I happened to have a nice long discussion with Charles Owan (at least, if I remember correctly, it was Charles) when I last visited Williston (at the local McDonald's). He spoke very highly of his brother; it was a very long conversation. I wish it could have been longer.

Another donor was Darlain Atol, in memory of Raymond Atol, her husband. Raymond Atol, for as long as I remember was the Chief of Police of Williston. I don't recall ever meeting him in person, but I certainly had great respect for him. I remember him best as a motorcycle cop and riding huge motorcycles. Most teenagers probably tried to stay "below the radar" with regard to the police and highway patrol.
In a law enforcement career spanning over 50 years in North Dakota, Ray Atol didn't take a lot of guff. But he always said there were two sides to an  argument ... Dan Kalil, himself of Lebanese ancestry, said that Ray 'made things go and got things done.'
The book includes several appendices including:
  • The names of all Syrian-Lebanese in North Dakota at the time of the 1900-, 1910- and 1920-census. 
  • Naturalization records of the Syrian-Lebanese in North Dakota.
  • The land acquisition (homesteading) records of the Syrian-Lebanese in North Dakota.
  • North Dakota Syrian-Lebanese veterans of North Dakota.
  • Name changes and patterns among the Syrian-Lebanese in North Dakota.
  • A list of WPA Interviewees, as part of the Federal Writers Project established by President Roosevelt during the depression.
It is absolutely fascinating to see the names of my school friends, teachers, Williston businessmen, and farmers who I knew while growing up in Williston.

My wife visited Williston numerous times back in the late 70's and early 80's, and she has very fond memories of visiting Joseph's Department store on Main Street, and yes, Mr Joseph is listed many times in the book. 

I have very fond memories of my years in Williston, and to see the names of those I knew at that time in print is truly priceless.

I know I am going out on a limb, but I am convinced the grain farming skills these folks brought from their home country probably accounted for the leadership position North Dakota has in such areas as wheat farming, particularly "durum" wheat farming. It should be remembered that hard spring wheat had its origin in that part of the world that is now known as Lebanon.

I bought my copy of The Syrian-Lebanese in North Dakota from Books on Broadway, Williston, ND, some years ago, as previously noted. It is not in stock at Amazon, and something tells me the book is now "priceless" in more ways than one.

8 comments:

  1. Josephs is gone But Books on Broadway is still there. Mr. Kalil is a community leader and has a lot of envolment in the regulation side of our growth and expansion in Williams county.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "Joseph's building" is still there on the corner of Main Street and (was it?) Broadway.

    I have many treasured books from "Books on Broadway" -- books I never would have seen had I not visited.

    I have always been very impressed with the Kalils. A very impressive family, as many Willistonites, are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book is available from the North Dakota State Historical Society for $28.95.
    Order at:
    http://history.nd.gov/museumstore/proddetail.asp?prod=1463
    dholmen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. My readers never fail to impress me.

    I think that's the price I paid at Books on Broadway, also.

    It really is a good book.

    Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is also from Williston and is full blooded Lebenese. Her farmstead was west of Williston on the bone trail road. Her family name is Albert. I would love to read your book. I remember when we had a family reunion in Williston and the books were there and at that time I was to young to realize how much owning one would of meant. I will have to buy on when I get back to Williston.

      Delete
    2. Books on Broadway in Williston should have a copy. I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  5. My grandparents Charles (Zahle, Lebanon) and Elizabeth Bousliman’s (Beirut, Lebanon), homestead was in Cow Creek, North of Williston. During the ‘20s they got a house in Williston and my grandfather Charlie opened the Ideal Pool Hall on South Main St. Later, my grandmother Elizabeth who was a seamstress, opened the Tot To Teen Shop next to the Grand Theatre. They both had long successful businesses there. My grandfather Charlie and Charles Joseph came from Lebanon together as teenagers and the families were lifelong friends. Margret Joseph and my grandmother returned to Lebanon together on vacation in the late ‘60’s to visit family there. Growing up with my Lebanese Mother and grandparents provided many opportunities for my sister and I to explore the food and traditions of the Lebanese community including the Khalil’s, Owen’s, Albert’s, Barkie’s, Atol’s, Layon’s and more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a great note. Thank you for taking time to write. I know almost all those names. The Charles "Bud" Khalil family lived right across the street from us. I was so naive growing up those days, I never knew the Khalils weren't Norwegian like me. LOL.

      I did not know about the Ideal Pool Hall. I assume the Josephs were the same ones that had the biggest department store on Main Street all those years.

      The history is so incredibly interesting.

      Delete