Sunday, August 7, 2011

Deeper Oil-Bearing Zone in the Three Forks Formation? CLR Thinks There May Be -- Bakken, North Dakota, USA

Update

August 15, 2011: If you want to see a huge TFS well, click here. In four months: 114,000 bbls; still in DRL status when that production was reported. (DRL status means the well has not yet been completed, or if it has, it is still within the 30-day window of required reporting.)

Original Post
Press release.
The Company is currently drilling a North Dakota Bakken horizontal well to test the productivity of a deeper oil-bearing zone in the Three Forks formation. Five cores taken by the Company across the play reveal several oil-saturated dolomitic layers in the Three Forks as much as 220 feet below the bottom of the Lower Bakken shale. “Evidence from the cores indicates the potential for incremental reserves in the Three Forks,” Mr. Hamm said.
Some folks keep talking about multiple pay zones in the Alberta Bakken. I contend that we will see the same thing in the North Dakota Bakken, although "we" may be "comparing apples and oranges."

I posted the following which was a comment I received regarding this well:
I don't know which well it is; but I am very, very curious as to its location vis a vis what Whiting is doing in southwestern North Dakota,and particularly what Chesapeake is doing in southwestern North Dakota.
Is it possible, CLR, WLL, and CHK have noticed something exciting about that part of the state?

6 comments:

  1. CHK 3 3Forks wells permitted. (Not confidential)

    Schoch
    21-137-97 A 1H

    Drill through:

    Pierre
    Dakota
    Spearfish
    Minnekatahta
    Minnelusa

    Then "Potentially Productive Zones"

    Tyler
    Kibbey
    Charles
    Fryburg
    Lodgepole
    False Bakken
    False Bakken GR
    Upper Bakken
    Three Forks
    Nisku


    In Decker and Zent wells substitute Birdbear for Nisku


    anon 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the three wells CHK has permitted in Stark County. They are all wildcats. Yes, depending on where one is, Birdbear and Nisku are same formation.

    I believe the Scallion is the "false Bakken," a member of the Lodgepole, I think. I had not heard of the False Bakken GR before.



    21135 Chesapeake Stark Wildcat Decker 26-138-97 A 1H NWNE 26-138N-93W


    21139 Chesapeake Stark Wildcat Zent 30-138-95 A 1H NENE 30-138N-95W


    21143 Chesapeake Stark Wildcat Schoch 21-137-97 A 1H SESE 21-137N-97W

    ReplyDelete
  3. check out slide #9 of CLR most recent presentation. Looks like they think may be 3 additional pay zones in the TFS along with a hint of Nisku

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's incredible; because I'm traveling, I missed it.

    Thank you for sharing. You will see this on stand-alone post shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can anyone tell me if it's worth $50/yr to subscribe to the "Basic Services" at the NDIC website?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Without more specifics, I certainly can't say. I held off as long as I could, but finally broke down and subscribed. The best thing I ever did. Hours of entertainment.

    I don't own minerals. I don't use "Basic Services" for investment decisions.

    I use it simply to help understand the oil patch and it has been an incredible value. $50/year --> $5/month.

    ReplyDelete