Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The Market And Energy Page, T+339 -- December 26, 2017 -- TSLA And The "Death Cross"

Wells coming off confidential list today: have been updated.

WTI: from a post early this morning --
Before the open, WTI was $58.44. Early after the opening, WTI jumped to $59.41, said to be due to a pipeline blast in Libya and  the loss of Forties oil right now.  My thoughts: the jump in price had little to do with the Forties pipeline or the Libyan story. The Forties pipeline story is not new; the pipeline has been repaired; and, already the pipeline is being tested for re-start in early January, just as the company said would happen. Libya? When do we not hear of a problem in Libya. Some might argue that WTI is headed toward $60 on a "no-news" story.  [Later: on CNBC we now learn that the pipeline blast in Libya has resulted in 90,000 bopd -- that is so inconsequential as to be laughable as a cause for the jump in the price of oil.]
API drawdown data: normally, the API reports API US crude oil inventories late in the afternoon on Tuesdays; normally I find those reports linked at this site; so far it's not on today's calendar, suggesting the report will be released tomorrow; it's my gut feeling that some folks know that data point before it's officially released and could affect the price of WTI; WTI was up significantly despite no "real" news -- a Libyan pipeline explosion removing 90,000 bopd isn't a big enough story to move the price of oil;

TSLA: earlier today, a reader sent me this link, suggesting that it will be years (decades?) before Tesla can possibly have a positive cash flow. Now this, the "death cross":

Market: whatever the reason for the jump in WTI (and Brent), the bigger story is the jump in share prices across the board in the oil sector. Whoo-hoo.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or what you think you may have read here.

NYSE, new highs and lows.
  • new highs, 168: Arch Coal (!!); CA; CAT; CVX; DE; EOG; Marathon Petroleum; OXY; Phillips 66; Shell; Statoil; UNP
  • new lows, 19
  • if you want to see another reason why Arch Coal might be doing better, see this post.
Wage disparity:

No comments:

Post a Comment