Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Catty Remark For The Day

These guys are a lot smarter than I am, so I know they have their reasons for doing this, but naming all their wells "Smokey" wells regardless of which oil field they are in will eventually cause confusion and frustration among "everyone" trying to figure out what is what.

KOG has at least 14 "Smokey" wells in Pembroke oil field.

Now, they have another four "Smokey" wells in Ranch Creek oil field.

Both fields are widely separated, one in the southeast corner of McKenzie County, the other field farther north in the same county.

I count about 42 "Smokey" wells so far, including a couple of "Smokey" salt water disposal wells. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a year from now the well names are changed to designate "Smokey" as well as the oil field, such as "Smokey Pembroke."

For now, I guess we will just keep adding "Smokey" wells to the Bakken, to set some kind of record for the most wells with the same "first" name.

2 comments:

  1. Still think Slawson takes the cake for best originality. who can argue with the likes of Skybolt, Mooka, Howitzer and Alamo, to name a few

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I agree. When I first started blogging about the Bakken, I was really "excited" to see the names that Slawson chose. It suggested a bit of enthusiasm one doesn't often see coming from these big businesses: it certainly set them apart.

      Slawson had some great wells in the beginning, but I don't see as much from them as I used to. But yes, I really got a kick out of the Slawson well names. Thank you for reminding me of the early days in the Bakken.

      Delete