Friday, April 26, 2013

Williston Wire -- Book Recommendation on North Dakota

Headlines only; it is easy to subscribe to the Williston Wire.

Job seekers continue to flock to Williston.

ND oil production still on the rise.

USDA to make it easier to qualify for home in the oil patch.

Williston implement dealer to close after 23 years; can't find workers to staff his business.

Editorial: the oil patch in the west also greatly (positively) impacts the Red River Valley on the east.

New book: Northern Utopia: Rebirth of American Dream, Mat Chaudry -- a must-have guide book for folks moving to North Dakota. 

Tesoro and Savage announce joint venture to construct/operate a CBR terminal at Port of Vancouver.

Williston Basin exports by rail surpass 70%.

Evolution continues: densities could reach 24 wells/pad; 6,000 wells over next three years.

Continental Resources' Three Forks Third Bench is a significant development in the Bakken. [Comment: until I see more, I equate this with the enthusiasm  we saw for the Tyler.]

ND state auction: May 7. 14,808 acres; 195 separate tracts; 13 counties; average tract: 76 acres.

Paddlefish season to open May 1.

2 comments:

  1. I read the article on the Implement Dealer who couldn't keep staff. I think the ultimate decision to close shop was the fact a developer bought his property to put up 2 more hotels. Like many people with "prime real estate"... how can you resist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't argue; you may be correct.

      Some idle rambling.

      From the time I graduated from college, I worked (or was on call) 24/7, until I retired -- that is not an exaggeration, and except for a few specific exceptions, it never felt like work. Not many are so lucky to get paid for doing something they enjoy so much, I suppose. I count my blessings.

      But, now in retirement, I feel strongly that work defines the "man." (That is not sexist; another essay for another time, I suppose). But work defines the "man." Many men and women who have built up their businesses over the years are unable to retire because they enjoy what they are doing so much. For some, retirement sounds enticing, until they finally do retire. A 21-year-old man who builds his business over 23 years is now 44 years old. Retirement will be nice. For awhile. But my hunch is the average person who has built his business over 23 years would like to keep building it and passing it on to a son or daughter. Many owners enjoy the challenge and the rewards of running their own businesses.

      One of the reasons for many of my mistakes in life is that I am naive, accepting at face value what someone says. That may be the case here, believing that he sold out because he couldn't find the employees he needed. But I like to think he will have fond memories of all that he built. Hopefully for his psyche, he will take the money and start a new business somewhere. Even the Colonel, at age 65, with his first business failing, went out and started again with Kentucky Fried Chicken.

      Delete