Friday, January 11, 2013

Apache Looking to Use Natural Gas, Not Diesel, To Power Pumps

This post has been revised substantially. See first comment. I misunderstood the issue; and the original post was in error. A huge "thank you" for a reader for setting me straight.

It looks like Apache is looking to use natural gas instead of diesel to power the pumps used for hydraulic fracking:
Apache Corp., Houston, said it has partnered with Halliburton and Schlumberger to find ways to use natural gas to power hydraulic fracturing, one of the most energy-intensive processes employed by the industry.
Only 1% of drilling rigs and zero full frac spreads are powered by gas, Apache said. In 2012, the industry will have used more than 700 million gal of diesel to pump sand and water during fracture stimulation. That’s $2.38 billion spent on diesel at a recent average of $3.40/gal.
Converting the process to using field gas would reduce fuel costs by 70%, said Mike Bahorich, Apache’s executive vice-president of technology.
“When I approached Halliburton and told them Apache wanted to do this, they told me that the reason that frac spreads that moved every week did not run on natural gas was due to the complexity of the natural gas supply and support infrastructure,” Bahorich said. “I also contacted Schlumberger. It didn’t take long for both companies to call back and tell me it could be done.”
A lot more detail at the link. 

6 comments:

  1. This is different. This is to fuel the pumps. The EPA issue involved a bit of diesel in the frac fluid.

    This is like using cng/lng/field gas to fuel cars, trucks, drilling rigs, and compressors.

    In DFW some have complained of air pollution from Barnett compressors. Now it turns out that the pollution was from diesel compressors. Nat gas compressors may eliminate the pollution. The gas industry has been slow to think of ways to use natural gas. They are starting to catch on.

    anon 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As I was posting this one, I felt I was getting out of my comfort zone, talking about something I might not know about. I will revise the post so as not to confuse folks and to remove the EPA connection. Again, thank you for correcting me without being too harsh.

      Delete
  2. http://www.ogj.com/articles/2013/01/us-fws-proposes-listing-gunnison-sage-grouse-as-endangered.html

    Back to your comfort zone.

    anon 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate that. And I'm relieved that the Gunnison sage grouse is in Utah, not North Dakota. At least according to a third reading of the linked article, so I didn't misread this one, also. Smile.

      Delete
  3. I wonder what the effect will be on the Jamestown Blue Jays, a bird named after a location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up in Williston, I never saw a blue jay (the bird). According to wiki, they should be in Williston but I never recall seeing one.

      I don't think fracking will have any effect on blue jays, the birds or the high school athletes.


      Thank you for taking time to write.

      Delete