Saturday, April 15, 2023

Silver Bullion, Worst Investment Ever -- April 15, 2023

Locator: 44402C.  

Now that I'm all caught up in my equity investing, and things are getting back to normal, I can start buying the worst investment product in the world: gold and silver coins. LOL.

I have "all" the US Silver Eagles through 2023, including the Type 1 and Type 2 from 2022. 

Now, to re-visit the Pandas and the Morgans.

The last Pandas I bought: 2020 Pandas (BU).

The 2021, 2022, and 2023 Pandas (BU) are out of stock. My local source said he quit buying Pandas in 2021 because the mark-up was excessive. 

So, maybe back to Morgans.

From January 26, 2019:

Silver bullion:

I got a telemarketer call the other day noting that I was a collector of rare coins.
Nope, I don't collect rare coins. I have a few but I don't collect them. I told the telemarketer that I buy the new American silver dollars (BU). She abruptly hung up, but not until muttering "bullion."
I never thought of American silver dollars (BU) as bullion, but they certainly aren't rare coins, so I guess to a telemarketer of rare coins, they are bullion. Disgusting. LOL.
But the 2019 China Pandas have been released. My biggest "coup": a year or so ago buying a few novelty silver coins (BU) and now they are hard to find; doubled in price. They go to the grandchildren.
I don't know why. I guess I'm like a lot of folks that like shiny objects. The China Panda story is very, very interesting. I doubt anyone really knows how many are minted any given year, and it wouldn't surprise me if China "re-minted" old vintages. You know, stamp 2011 on coins minted this year (2019). Nothing coming out of China would surprise me. But the buzz at the coin shows: as more and more Chinese move into "middle class," more and more will buy China Pandas. 

And now we see: 2021, 2022, and 2023 Pandas are out of stock.

4 comments:

  1. Metals? A terrible investment. If one is truly concerned about the world going "to hell in a hand-basket", I'd suggest Campbell's Soup and ammunition... Old clients of mine, back in the late 60's bought bulk silver coins for under $5 an ounce, and they had multiple five-gallon pails sitting in the USNB vault. When the Hunts drove the "value" up over $50/ounce, I strongly urged they sell. "And what would we buy?" said they. Needless to say, the alternative disappeared. Moral? "Never love something that can't love you back~). Gold and silver? Cold, cold, cold~

    ReplyDelete
  2. As noted, the worst possible investment ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own exactly 8 Eagles/Krugerrand/Maple Leafs. Bought on a lark. Two for each of us and our only off-spring. A constant reminder of the folly that fiscal fear can bring, as they are worthless in a real crisis. Too small to be of any value then; useless to think they would provide any security if things went south.... But, they are darned pretty shiny objects.!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also own an unknown amount of gold coins -- haven't looked at them in years -- but they were bought for the same reason I collected stamps as a child, and bought Lego sets as an adult. Along with LLadro figurines and David Winter cottages. Nothing to do with fiscal fear. Of all of those, only the coins are guaranteed to be enjoyed by all heirs AND they take up the least room. I still have all my stamps and still collect them.

      Delete