Wednesday, July 4, 2018

This Is An Incredibly Cool Story -- Folks Are Watching Two Different Movies -- July 4, 2018

Over at the Drudge report there are several links to perpetuate the latest meme: the current US hot spell is something unique, something uniquely related to global warming.


I don't know enough about the history of heat spells in the US to say one thing or the other but I do remember the headlines back in 1977 about the extreme heat in NYC and the 1995 heat wave in Chicago -- a couple of screen shots:



This story is one of those currently linked by Drudge ("highest in years" translates to "highest in two years") -- LOL:



Tell me if you disagree with my, but I would argue that US electricity demand in the East (Chicago to NYC, Boston to Miami) would be significantly less if there were no air conditioners. Just a hunch.

I don't know if the heat wave this year will make the "top ten list" (see NYC graphic above. Currently, the heat wave is four days old. Number ten on the list (in number of days greater than 90 degrees had a run of seven (7) days but the extended forecast suggests the chances of the current NYC heat wave making the top ten list is slim to none, and "Slim" just left town.



So, the weather / heat spell isn't all that bad, if not taken out of context.

How does one reconcile that record for electricity demand?

It depends on which movie you are watching.

If one is watching the Algore global warming movie (pretty much a boring Powerpoint slideshow), one sees a dystopian world. A world of gloom, despair and agony.

Gloom, Despair, and Agony

The movie I'm watching is not the Algore movie. My movie is the one in which I see the quality of life and the standard of living in the United States increasing year-over-year and that drives the demand for energy.

By the way, this heat? It's called summer.

Just one more. Roy Clark, in this clip, reminds me of my dad in his last ten years -- Dad was blessed to have inherited a "happy gene" from his mother, Christine.


No comments:

Post a Comment