Friday, December 13, 2013

Natural Gas Skyrockets In New England; Nothing On Front Page Of The Boston Globe, Maybe Not That Big Of A Deal

Nothing on front page of Boston Globe about the natural gas situation in New England. See previous post, same subject

Boston is preparing for first big storm of the season.  Four to six inches forecast to Boston central; up to 10 inches in areas north of Boston. We spent much of the past four years with our granddaughters in the Boston area and we can only imagine what this is going to be. It would be incredibly fun and beautiful. I wish I were there to enjoy it.

******************************************
A Note To The Granddaughters

First: a note to regular readers. All (or at least most) posts, notes, links regarding global warming will now be found in "notes to the granddaughters, and not in the "upper" part or "main" part of the post. There will be very few, if any stand-alone posts on global warming. More on that later.
Having said that, did you all catch the Drudge-linked story of 5 to 6 feet of snow in upstate New York? This winter storm will span over 1,000 miles and could affect up to 110 million people, about as many people who will have their insurance canceled by ObamaCare.

And then this: new study -- the earth was warmer during "ancient Roman times' and during "the medieval period." I assume Algore is updating his slide presentation. The Romans burned a lot of coal, I suppose.

******************************************



Taxi, Harry Chapin

******************************************

Operator, That's Not The Way It Feels, Jim Croce

**************************
A Note to The Granddaughters

I have never lived anywhere that I didn't eventually come to love. Some places I have come to love sooner than other places. I thought about that today, driving from Grapevine, TX, where we currently live, up to Plano, TX, to visit a Planonite who reads the blog and, who invited me to lunch to talk about the Bakken. More on that luncheon at some other time when I have time to reflect on our 3-hour discussion.

I have never lived anywhere that I didn't eventually come to love. Some places I have come to love sooner than others. Harry Chapin, above, brings back memories of my coming of age days, visiting the love of my life -- in a different life, in a far away place, in a time long, long ago. It was Boston, 1975, or thereabouts. I loved Boston, then, but that was because of her. "She took off to find the footlights, I took off to find the sky." [She died some years ago; I can write about her and not frighten the current love of my life.]

Almost at the other end of the spectrum (continuum?) was Incirlik Air Base, eastern Turkey. Turkey, the country, north of Syria. It took multiple visits and then a two-year tour to really fall in love with eastern Turkey. If I had no significant other now, and no daughters, and no granddaughters, I could see myself back in Turkey, living out the rest of my life there. The early Christians found solace there.

Interestingly, at the very end of the continuum was RAF Lakenheath, England, or England, in general. We were there for four years the first time; I never "liked" East Anglia the entire time we were there. The English, it seemed were living in the 1950's and working half-time to catch up. It was so bad, our wing commander sent out a directive that Air Force personnel were to make no more jokes about the British civil servants.

I recall all that because it took me a "New York minute" to fall in love with the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex. Except for the absence of an ocean and the mountains, we lack for nothing. The interstate and state highway system between Grapevine (northeast of Ft Worth) and Plano (north of Dallas) is incredible. I think 99% of the national highway transportation CAPEX is being spent in Texas; the other 1% in the Bakken. The Texans have a unique way of laying out their divided highways, frontage roads, farm-managed roads, u-turns, etc.

So, it was a great drive. The drivers were Texas-friendly. The roads: not one pothole. And lots of new construction. Think jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment