Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Picture From Minot Flood -- Maybe Not

Earlier I posted a picture of a pretty good-sized town that was flooded, sent to me by a friend of a friend ... who said it was a picture of Minot.

It seemed to be a bit "bigger" than I remember Minot, and there was a cornfield in one of the photos. It is possible, but unlikely to have cornfield near Minot this time of year, especially that high.

Only one person wrote in to say that was not a photo of Minot, but I tend to agree. It looked more like a city farther south, maybe southeastern South Dakota, Iowa, or Missouri.

The photo/post was removed, while I confirm whether it was Minot, and if not, maybe what city it was.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

4 comments:

  1. You are right Bruce, That is not Minot. Minot is a growing city, (Hopefully the flood will not stop that), but we are not nearly as big as the city in the photo was. All I can say is that thanks to the Bakken and the oil patch in North Dakota, the flood will only be a temporary speed bump in the economic growth. Enjoy your blog. Don Winden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. I asked the individual who sent me the photos to check on them; he is doing that. Honest mistake. He had not been to Minot in a long, long time, and probably didn't look at the photo close enough.

    Both my wife and I looked at the aerial photo and questioned the location but posted it anyway.

    Maybe we will find out what city it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cedar Rapids, Iowa, flooded a couple of years ago. With a much larger population, and a downtown with many high rises, the photo was quite possibly Cedar Rapids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would make sense: cattle, cornfield, etc., looked more like Iowa, not North Dakota.

    It's interesting you should mention Cedar Rapids. I have a special place in my heart for Cedar Rapids -- I knew a wonderful woman who grew up in Cedar Rapids; we don't correspond much any more. Life takes unusual twists and turns.

    Cedar Rapids was the jumping off point for Muslims coming to America during the great migrations; the oldest mosque in America is in Cedar Rapids. Many Middle Eastern folks ended up in North Dakota via Cedar Rapids two or three generations ago. Very unique and wonderful stories.

    ReplyDelete