Friday, September 3, 2010

146

Wow, I didn't expect this: a new record number of active rigs drilling in North Dakota -- 146.

Some time ago I opined that I thought we would stabilize at about 145 - 150, and then I saw the relatively sudden drop to about 137 active wells a few days ago, and thought we had topped out at 143.

So, now back up and blowing through previous high of 143.

But even more incredible: look back to earlier this year. In February, 2010, there were 95 active rigs in North Dakota. 95. Now, the year is not yet over (we have two or three great months of drilling before winter sets in) and we're up to 146 rigs. 

I haven't broken down rigs by all companies, but I assume a few of these are new companies coming into the Bakken.

Selected companies:
  • CLR: 19
  • BEXP: 8 (that's a significant increase from the four they had last year)
  • Slawson: 5
  • KOG: 2
  • Fidelity (MDU): still only 1
  • NOG: None (yes, I know: that's their business model)
A company new to me or I didn't recognize or missed before: Landtech Enterprises -- probably because it's drilling salt water disposal wells.

No comments:

Post a Comment