Sunday, November 28, 2021

Happy Festivus -- November 28, 2021

Sophia's elementary school principal -- here in Texas -- sends out a weekly newsletter. Today, my wife noted this in the newsletter:

Wow! The [elementary school] special days/dress schedule didn’t miss any holidays — Hannukah, Christmas, Diwali, Ramadan, Kwanzaa …!

In fact, she did. LOL.

***************************************
Grocery Store -- Sunday After Thanksgiving

Random observations at our local grocery store, not Target:

  • casual observations: any shortages on the shelves not immediately noticeable
  • closer observations: some shortages, but if one can afford "average" grocery store prices, no one will go hungry
  • pasta: I was surprised to see so little spaghetti and similar pasta on the shelves; pasta has been in limited supply for months; I believe that's also true for beans and rice, although I did not check tonight;
  • beef, pork, chicken: no shortages; I did not check the prices; however, I did not see any whole chickens, though I did not look very hard; a small selection of chicken livers which I never buy any more but used to enjoy; prefer gizzards (LOL);
    • with rotisserie chickens so affordable, I have no idea why folks buy fresh / frozen chicken to cook at home except for special occasions or special events (e.g., beer can chicken on the Weber)
  • beer: normal prices; six packs running at $9.99 which was discounted from $10.99 and $11.99; last summer one could find same six packs running at $8.99 (discounted); Yuengling beer recently introduced to Texas always least expensive; often discounted;
  • no Spam on the shelf except for two cans of Spam Lite; store brand "Spam" instead, but limited quantities
  • potato chips on sale, some brands markedly reduced; I see this periodically in this particular store
  • turkeys: still large quantities and priced at 99 cents / lb
  • canned tuna on sale at $1.00 / can
  • Campbell's soup getting more expensive, but store brand very competitive; e.g., Bean and Bacon (Campbell's): $1.69, but store brand at 99 cents;
  • white, sliced bread: the "off-brands" still easily found at 99 cents/loaf
  • I bought brand-name hot dogs; real hot dogs, not those "turkey dogs"; don't remember exact price but I wouldn't have bought them if more than what I used to pay (I seldom buy hot dogs but like to have some in freezer / refrigerator -- in case Sophia wants one for a snack);
  • I did not look at the bacon; even if being given away, I was not in the mood to buy any;
  • russet potatoes: 89 cents / pound;
  • the one thing I came in for: Ken's Honey Mustard salad dressing; regular, not lite; don't remember the price but it was no more than what I expected to pay;

No comments:

Post a Comment