Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Apple Pushes Out Its First-Ever Automatic Security Update For Mac Computers -- I Love It -- December 23, 2014: $13 Million Industrial Fire Not Covered By Insurance

For the archives. Something tells me this story is not yet over. Bakken.com is reporting:
The fire at an oil field supply company in northwest North Dakota in July has cost the owner $12.7 million.
The Williston Herald reports insurance didn’t cover the incident at Williston’s Red River Supply facility.
Company president Rich Vestal says the facility’s $400,000 annual insurance policy didn’t cover the accident. Vestal says he believed the policy included an errors and omissions clause to cover incidents not expressly mentioned in the coverage. But Vestal’s agent switched carriers, and that clause didn’t carry over.
********************************
Pushing Security Patches

This is really cool.

The other night on Macrumors I noted the need to update the security on my Apple computer. I was going to do that but then something interrupted me.

Earlier today I got a notice that my computer security had been upgraded. Didn't give it another thought.

Tonight I read this story. San Jose Mercury News is reporting:
Apple pushed out its first-ever automatic security update for Mac computers on Monday, fixing a security flaw that the company felt was too dangerous to wait for users to patch.

The security flaw was made public on Friday on security bulletins by the Department of Homeland Security and the Carnegie Mellon University Software Engineering Institute.
 
Security researchers who discovered the bugs warned they could enable hackers to gain remote control of machines.
The security fix patches vulnerabilities in OS X's network time protocol, or NTP, according to Apple spokesman Bill Evans. NTP is used for synchronizing clocks on computer systems.
Now, if Apple would just manage my equity portfolio. Chuckle, chuckle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment