Monday, June 30, 2014

Why I Love To Blog: Reason #1,284

A year ago I knew nothing about natural gas, and now I know almost next to nothing about natural gas.

So, quick review. How many remember how much natural gas a country must have to be said to have "massive" amounts? The answer, apparently, is 20 trillion cubic meters. At least that's how Turkey's natural gas reserves are described, or more exactly, potential reserves. That's an easy number to remember.

So, as I was saying: I know almost next to nothing about natural gas. But when I read this story posted by Rigzone, I knew exactly how much 80 trillion cubic meters was. Four times twenty. Reuters reported this week on natural gas potential in Scotland -- look at this:
Scotland, heading for a September independence referendum, could hold enough shale gas resources to cover UK gas needs for more than 30 years, a geological report published by the British government showed on Monday.
But Scotland's roughly 80 trillion cubic metres of gas is only around 6 percent of Britain's potential, with the rest mainly in the Bowland Shale region across northern England. 
Scotland has about 80 trillion cubic meters of natural gas, which could supply all of the UK for 30 years.

But that 80 trillion might only represent 6 percent of Britain's potential. Quick, grab that napkin -- 6% of what = 80 trillion. The "what" = 1,333 trillion. Let's check the math: 0.06 x 1,333 trillion = 80. The math works, but it almost makes me think I'm reading the story incorrectly. Again, cut and paste, " ... Scotland's roughly 80 trillion cubic metres of gas is only around 6 percent of Britain's potential, with the rest mainly in the Bowland Shale region across northern England."

The reason it confuses me is because the US natural gas reserves are said to be about 210 trillion cubic meters. It's hard to imagine the UK with 1,333 trillion, so I must be reading something wrong.

Then the next page of the Reuters article:
In total, the three BGS reports on unconventional oil and gas resources showed Britain has around 1,409 trillion cubic feet of shale gas and 10.4 billion tonnes of shale oil in place. 
Notice how Reuters switched to "feet" all of a sudden. 
1,409 trillion cubic feet converts to 40 trillion cubic meters which corresponds nicely to the 20 million cubic meters that Turkey is thought to have.

So, I'm confused by the article. I must be reading something incorrect. But at least I now know enough that:
  • Turkey might have 20 trillion cubic meters of natural gas reserves, which is considered "massive"
  • the US apparently has about 210 trillion cubic meters
  • the Brits might have 40 trillion cubic meters
  • the Scots have a lot but probably not 1333 trillion cubic meters
I'll be more than happy if someone can point out where I went wrong with the numbers, cubic feet, and cubic meters in this story. 

1 comment:

  1. Major flood in Canada shuts down drilling North of border. May be a couple weeks.

    Anon 1

    ReplyDelete