Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Best Link of the Month? Year? Aerial Photos of the Oil Patch

Robb Siverson has absolutely outstanding photos of the oil patch in western North Dakota.

His website: http://robbsiverson.com/

At his homepage, click on services and then aerial photography, or click on very first link above to get their directly.

Years ago, I spotted a large photograph of custom combining in the home of one of my close friends; it was a photograph I will never forget of North Dakota. Robb has several similar photos. I can't imagine North Dakota farmers not having a room of such spectacular photos in their homes -- either in North Dakota or Arizona. This is an incredible photo-history that will be capture their legacy to be shared with their grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

I wish CLR had used some of these photos (or their photos) in their investors' day corporate presentations. Folks really get a kick out of seeing these pictures. I don't think anyone -- who appreciates the Bakken -- ever tires of seeing these pictures. 

Based on a few random comments from out-of-staters over the years, it is obvious many folks have no idea how beautiful North Dakota is (of course, most NoDaks don't mind; they enjoy the peace and quiet). And again, only a small part of North Dakota is feeling the direct impact of the oil industry. I have never seen the wind farms, for example. Sited among the water ponds and thinking about the migrating birds is of concern. My understanding is that the slicers and dicers are still during bird migrations. Be that as it may, the photos are incredible!

6 comments:

  1. Great Photos. Love the picture of the Nekoma ABM radar behind the elevator with the wind turbines in the background. The pictures of the very large drilling pad amongst the homes is the Continental pad just off the river and hiway 85 bridge west of williston. They are drilling 8 or 9 of 14 wells off that pad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredible, isn't it? Thank you for taking time to write.

      Delete
  2. I had the parent that grew up there in the 20's to 40's. He passed away in the 60's. But our Grandmother kept us up to date on the happenings. So amazing. They hung on to mineral rights. Grandfather was born in Norway. They would be amazed I'm sure. They just needed the right technology. They knew it was there. Our Grandfather passed in the 50's. Grandmother in the 90's. She told me as a child never sell these minerals. And yes I've been solicited many times over the last 25 years. It's like a gift from heaven I always said. Don't sell out.They worked those fields hard so long ago. My Grandparent went south for winter. Arizona was the dry spot to be. Place to warm the aching joints! I wish they were with me so I could tell them thank you a million times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That story, I'm sure, can be told many times.

      I am impressed they were able to hold onto their mineral rights all those years; good for them.

      Thank you for writing. Maybe your grandparents are somewhere where they can access the internet and see your comments. Smile.

      Delete
  3. From the perspective of being from a small New England state, one must feel like an absolute ant in some of the landscapes in those awesome photos.

    Planning to visit as soon as possible and see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest frustration I have when I want to get somewhere specific, how long it seems to take. But if I am driving to enjoy the scenery and think about the vastness of the open space, it's an enjoyable ride. Take along some great music and some munchies.

      Delete