Saturday, June 4, 2011

Four Bears Bridge -- New Town, North Dakota -- Bakken, North Dakota, USA

Updates

October 28, 2015: see comments below. A reader provides a quick summary:
During the construction of the Garrison Dam, two bridges were to be destroyed; the Verendrye Bridge 4 miles north, near Sanish and the Elbow Woods bridge 40 miles south of the current location. The Verendrye bridge was demolished, while the Elbow Woods bridge was moved to the original Four Bears bridge site and connected with deck truss approach spans on each side of the bridge. This took place in the 50's and the original bridge opened in 1955. The work was done by the Corps of Engineers and the original bridge was too narrow and therefor not safe. Both the old and new bridges are beautiful bridges, but the new one is much safer.
Original Post
 
For history of the Four Bears Bridge, click here

I mentioned in an earlier post that yesterday, Friday, June 3, 2011, I took my dad on a road trip east of Williston to visit New Town, the Four Bears Bridge over the Missouri River, and a bit of the Sanish oil field.

My dad feels that the Four Bears Bridge is one of the most beautiful bridges he has ever seen, and I have to agree. It is truly magnificent. It is very, very elegant in its simplicity. It seems to fit right into the landscape, absolutely unobtrusive. It is almost a mile long.

In that posting I mentioned that perhaps I would have a stand-alone posting for the bridge, and so, here it is.

For now, just some photos. Later I will add the history, but someone has written asking to see the photos of the bridge.








4 comments:

  1. Bruce, thanks for the pictures. My Dad helped paint the original back in the 50's. Seeing the bridge always told me as a kid coming into New Town that we were almost to Grandpa's. Great memories, great times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do a stand-alone post with some photos of the memorial to the original.

    Your dad must have painted the second bridge.

    The first bridge was built in 1934.
    The second bridge was built in 1951 - 1953.
    The third bridge is one we see today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With regard to memories of being close to the end of your trip when you saw the bridge, I have similar memories. The ride from Williston, North Dakota, to Newell, South Dakota, was long and hot (in the summer), and by the time we got there, I was pretty much in a deep sleep. But when dad drove the car down the long, steep hill, going into the old farm place, I knew we had gotten to grandpa and grandma's house.

    Yes, very good memories. A simpler time for us (as children), but probably a much more difficult time for most of our parents.

    Life goes by too fast; childhood goes by even faster.

    I'm a very nostalgic person, so it's probably best I don't travel down this road too far in my comments. Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, it was the second bridge. Nostalgia is a nice place to visit as long as you don't forget to come back.
    Visited New Town in '07 for first time in over 20 yrs. Crossing Big Mo just wasn't the same.

    Thanks for the pics and the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete