Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Titanic! November 3, 2021

Link here.

For newbies, to estimate the cost of any Lego set, simply multiply the number of pieces by ten and then place the decimal where it makes the most sense.

So, a 9,000-piece set should cost around $900. 

This has held true for years. If the set one is buying is less than ten cents/piece, it's a huge bargain. 

Years ago, probably five decades ago, a local toy store was going out of business. I bought every Lego set I could afford at the time. I calculated the prices to be five cents/piece, literally getting everything for half price. 

This 9,000-piece is going for less than $650. My hunch: on Amazon, eBay, elsewhere, we will see this product for more than $1,000 within a few years.

Currently, despite having just been released, it's out of stock

2 comments:

  1. Not a bad investment plan, LOL! So, do you still have all or even most of those pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have "every" Lego piece I've ever bought over the years. On top of that, they are all accounted for.

      It's funny how things work out. The two older granddaughters and their mom show no interest in Legos. Sophia enjoys Legos -- we play with her sets two or three times each week -- but I doubt she will want my sets when she grows older.

      However, the grandsons -- now only 18 months old -- are going to inherit an incredible treasure trove of Legos. Their mom loves them; she grew up with Legos with me, mostly while we were in Germany.

      They will never be sold and thus have no monetary value, per se. We do not buy, trade, flip, etc. We are not "collectors" per se, we just have a lot of fun with them.

      My daughter has specifically said we will buy NO Star-Wars-themed Legos -- that would simply be way too much.

      I doubt we will buy the "Titanic" but one never knows.

      Delete