Thursday, July 30, 2020

Rambling Notes -- Early Night Edition -- July 30, 2020

For the archives.

Not ready for prime time.

Blog entry.
  • July 30, 2020
  • 7:46 p.m. local time.
  • Undisclosed location.
  • Weather: unlimited visibility; temperate; dry.
I am traveling. I am at a temporary, undisclosed location where I will be for three to four days. From here I will be on the road again, to another temporary, undisclosed location.

I have internet capability but I am greatly pressed for time. I am gradually catching up but wow! I can hardly believe all the "stuff" that has happened in the past two days.

I departed Tuesday evening, about 8:00 p.m. and drove until about 2:00 a.m. I napped on an interstate exit ramp among several 18-wheelers. I woke up about 5:00 a.m., I suppose, although I have forgotten the exact time. Then a full day of driving, Wednesday, from about 6:00 a.m. to Wednesday night, when I again slept along the road from 10:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. Two hours later, I was still tired, so I stopped and slept from 4:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.  Arrived at my destination about noon today.

So, Tuesday night to Wednesday night: 24 hours.

Wednesday night to Thursday noon: about 16 hours.

Google maps said, at posted speed limits and no stopping for rest, it would take one full day (24 hours) + six hours.

A two-hour time difference worked in my favor, though I will lose that "advantage" on the return trip home.

I'll provide more detail on the trip in subsequent notes, geographic locations, etc.

One of the best things about cross-country trips, especially at night, is listening to radio hosts talking about UFOs and Area 51. I was hoping to see some meteors during my all-night driving but if there were any I missed them. I did learn about the new asteroid headed towards earth (it will not affect this year's US presidential campaign):
Two Indian schoolgirls have discovered an asteroid which is slowly shifting its orbit and moving toward Earth. Radhika Lakhani and Vaidehi Vekariya, both studying in 10th grade, were working on a school project when they discovered the asteroid, which they named HLV2514.
That's a temporary name; one the asteroid is verified by an independent team of astronomers, the young women can give the asteroid its permanent name
The schoolgirls found a vocation where they could practice social distancing when the 2020 spelling bee was postponed for the year due to "the virus."

From open.edu:
No asteroid is awarded a name until it has been observed long enough for its orbit to be determined with a fair degree of precision. This may take several years, but when it is achieved the body is awarded a “permanent designation” (a number issued in strict numerical sequence) and the discoverer is invited to suggest a name for approval by a special committee of the International Astronomical Union.
Strictly speaking, Ceres, the first known asteroid, is known as (1) Ceres. Examples of more unusual or whimsical names include (7758) Poulanderson (named after a science fiction author), (8749) Beatles (named after the 1960s pop group), and (5460) Tsenaat'a'i (which means “flying rock” in the Navaho [sic] language).
The prize for the most imaginative name goes to (2037) Tripaxeptalis. The name is pure invention but sounds like “triPax-septAlice”, which reflects the fact that its permanent designation is three times that of (679) Pax and seven times that of (291) Alice.
Until its orbit has been sufficiently well-documented, each new discovery is known only by a “provisional designation” consisting of the year of discovery followed by two letters and, if necessary, numbers that relate more precisely to the date and sequence of discovery.
Vincent, Don McLean

This song, by the way, led to Killing Me Softly With Your Song, and one of the most sought-after items for urban guerilla warfare, the "Roberta Flak jacket" popularized by Hillary Clinton after she landed in Bosnia under sniper fire.

*******************************
Energy

There were three energy stories that caught my attention during the forty hours on the road. The first was the presidential permit allowing the Keystone pipeline to carry more oil. The second was the announcement that Bruin E&P was filing for bankruptcy. I would have missed that story but two readers alerted me to that one. The third story: a huge solar energy farm going broke. Again, this one brought to my attention by reader. I will get back to the solar energy farm later, if I don't forget. Too tired tonight.

***************************
AMZN

This was the biggest earnings story. Did  you all see this one? Amazon. Analysts forecast earnings of $1.50/share. Amazon reported earnings of $10/share. Numbers are rounded. Links to follow. But if accurate, that has to be some kind of record.

 

*************************
AAPL

The second biggest earnings story: Apple. I will come back to that one.



***********************
QCOM

QCOM had a huge day.


************************
Futures

Exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment