Tuesday, April 3, 2012

GMXR Reports a Nice Bakken Well -- North Daota, USA

Link to press release:
GMXR today announces that the Company has successfully drilled and completed its fourth operated horizontal Bakken well, the Lange 11-30-1H, 89% working interest, located in Sections 30-31 T147N-R 99W in McKenzie County, North Dakota. The Lange 11-30-1H was drilled to a measured depth of 20,519' with a lateral length of 9,348'. It was completed as a 32 stage frac Middle Bakken producer achieving a peak rate of 2,549 boepd @1,500 psi flowing casing pressure.
This well is pretty far south in McKenzie County, a fairly inactive area; the well was a wildcat. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce,
    Is the depth of this well unusual??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. Vertical depth at 20,519 feet might be a bit deeper than what I'm used to, but it's in the middle Bakken according to the press release.

      In general, "they" drill down 9,000 to 10,000 feet vertically, and then go 4,500 feet horizontally for a short lateral (14,000 to 15,000 feet total "depth") or 9,000 feet horizontally for a long lateral (18,000 to 19,000 feet total "depth").

      So, if I see total depth at 14,000 to 15,000 feet for a Bakken well, I know it's a short lateral, and if it is closer to 20,000 feet, I know it's a long lateral.

      The kick-off point (where they start going horizontal) is above the Bakken, generally in the Lodgepole.

      Again, I am not a geologist, and experts may correct me, but that's about how I picture the "average" well in the Bakken Pool (middle Bakken, or Three Forks formations, generally).

      Delete
  2. OK, now I get it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my evening; thank you for the feedback. Seriously, I appreciate hearing back if I've written something that helps explain something. It took me awhile to see/realize that one could guess whether it was a short lateral or a long lateral based on that 14,000-foot or 19,000-foot total depth.

      For newbies, it's "total depth" because the roughnecks are pushing steel rods down 14,000 or 19,000 feet even though it might be vertical "only" 10,000 feet. "Total depth" includes the horizontal portion. True vertical depth is also measured and recorded.

      Delete
  3. Bruce, well said.

    And, GMX - not broke yet!

    anon 1

    ReplyDelete