Wednesday, September 17, 2014

200 -- September 17, 2014

Here it is, and yes, some rigs may be double-counted, but it is what it is.

Active rigs in North Dakota:


9/17/201409/17/201309/17/201209/17/201109/17/2010
Active Rigs200180196199146

See first comment below, part of which reads:
I check the active rig count every week so I checked this one. First of all there are only 199 rigs on the report, not the 200 in the header. This happens about once a month, don't really know why but it's not unusual. There is also one duplicate rig on the report (H&P 293); this also happens occasionally. I do know, though, that there are two rigs that are not on the report but are active and should be, so we really are at 200.
So, a couple of things.

First:  Yes, there may not really be 200 active rigs but this is the screen shot I've used since I started posting NDIC data. [See above.]

Second: Summer, if one uses the autumn equinox as the marker, does not officially end until September 23, or thereabouts. Therefore, "we" hit 200 before the end of summer, 2014.

Third: Whooopee!

Fourth: Note -- the table above -- the "200" beats the previous record of 199 for this date (September 17) back in 2011 at the height of the boom.

Fifth: the rigs currently being used in 2014 are bigger, more powerful than the rigs used in 2011.

Sixth: the roughnecks are more experienced in 2014 than they were in 2011.

Seventh: same for the petroleum engineers.

Eighth: Leonard DiCaprio's press agent has not confirmed that Leo will be taking a road trip to the Bakken following the UN Climate Change Conference in NYC next week.

Ninth: to quote Kudlow -- "drill, drill, drill."

Yeah, it's a big deal.

WTI is being priced about $94.50 today.

*************************
Note to the Granddaughters

Last night I sent an e-mail (I don't text; I don't have a smart phone) to our daughter about 9:10 asking her to have our older granddaughter call me if she was still up and it would not interfere with her homework.

A few minutes later, Arianna called me. Earlier in the day she was telling me how to use atomic weights in determining the number of neutrons for a given element. I mentioned that more precisely it was "mass" and not weight.

Later, I remembered that yes, the periodic tables used by most middle schools still refer to "atomic weights." Knowing that T/F questions can sometimes be used to trick children on a test, I wanted to tell Arianna that, yes, she and her teacher are correct. "Atomic weight" is still used.

2 comments:

  1. Bruce - Good afternoon, keep up the great job. I check the active rig count every week so I checked this on and first of all there are only 199 rigs on the report not the 200 in the header. This happens about once a month, don't really know why but it's not unusual. There is also one duplicate rig on the report (H&P 293) this also happens occasionally. I do know though that there are two rigs that are not on the report but are active and should be so we really are at 200.

    With all of this being said I have to say that in all of the states (and that's a few) that we have worked in the state of North Dakota is head and shoulders above the rest in reporting and information available. Kudos to them it makes life much simpler when the state understands what you are trying to do and helps rather that other states that make it see like they're doing you a favor by letting you work in their state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really appreciate that, and I appreciate you taking the time to write.

      I occasionally check in on other oil and gas states (on the internet) to see what is going on, and I, too, am impressed with how excellent NDIC is reporting data compared to the other states. I've mentioned that several times. Without the NDIC reports, following the Bakken would not be nearly as rewarding.

      Again, thank you for your note; much appreciated.

      Delete