Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Target: Missed -- May 18, 2022

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here.

All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them.

*****************************
Camus

Quick: why is Camus trending?

I'm fairly well read.

I tend to follow current events fairly closely. 

Did I simply forget about Camus? Or did I simply "miss" this Camus completely?

I'm not talking about Albert Camus of whom I am aware: wiki entry.

Camus, 1913 - 1960, was born in French Algeria to Pieds Noirs parents. 
He spent his childhood in a poor neighbourhood and later studied philosophy at the University of Algiers. 
He was in Paris when the Germans invaded France during World War II in 1940. Camus tried to flee but finally joined the French Resistance where he served as editor-in-chief at Combat, an outlawed newspaper. After the war, he was a celebrity figure and gave many lectures around the world. He married twice but had many extramarital affairs. 
Camus was politically active; he was part of the left that opposed the Soviet Union because of its totalitarianism. 
Camus was a moralist and leaned towards anarcho-syndicalism. He was part of many organisations seeking European integration. During the Algerian War (1954–1962), he kept a neutral stance, advocating for a multicultural and pluralistic Algeria, a position that caused controversy and was rejected by most parties. 
Philosophically, Camus's views contributed to the rise of the philosophy known as absurdism. He is also considered to be an existentialist, even though he firmly rejected the term throughout his lifetime. 

But Renaud Camus? Wiki entry

Apparently in the woke world, Albert Camus is well respected. Renaud Camus, not. At least not in the past week.

But at one time, apparently celebrated by the literati, movers, shakers, and the LBGQT community. 

Known exclusively as a novelist and poet until the late 1990s, Camus received the Prix Fénéon in 1977 for his novel Échange, and in 1996 the Prix Amic from the Académie Française for his previous novels and elegies.

But w hat surprised me is how quickly a new meme was created. Literally overnight for me. Was it The Washington Post or The New York Times that changed the narrative "overnight"? I don't know. Maybe I was the only one that missed all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment