Saturday, March 5, 2022

Did I Miss Something? The Market And The Book Reviews For March 5, 2022

I haven't watched CNBC in about four weeks now.  I haven't read the WSJ very much except the book reviews, art and literature. Was there a market correction? Did I miss that? If this was a market correction, my portfolio seems to have missed it. LOL.

But some say the bottom is in. Okay.

I guess I missed it.

Link here.

Having looked at Rivian and Lucid in the past few days, methinks we're not there yet. 

Warren Buffett has often said he likes dividends, as long as he's collecting them, not paying them. I pay close attention to dividends when investing.

***********************
CLR

This is completely random but I've never seen this before.  A reader who has minerals in the Bakken sent me a long, long list of prices paid for oil per CLR.

Example, month/year: price --

  • 12/21: $83.82
  • 8/15: $36.67
  • 5/14: $96.15
  • 8/13: $95.83
  • 2/12: $90.00

There were months when natural gas was being sold for $7.00. 

***************************
The Book Page

Wow, three great essays in The Wall Street Journal's book reviews section.

Edna St Vincent Millay: years ago I was in my Edna St Vincent Millay phase. I read everything about her and read much of what she wrote. 

I am reminded of my favorite story which really, really sums up her free-spirit attitude on life.

Ms Millay tells the story when she and her boyfriend are on a picnic, both without wearing anything, enjoying lunch on a blanket. He, unfortunately, got stung by a bee near the end of his penis. Miss Millay says her dad (or someone, I have long forgotten whom) taught her how to remove the poison from a rattlesnake bite. She says she saved her boyfriend's life.

Hunter S. Thompson: I'm currently re-reading for the nth time Hunter S Thompson's second volume of Fear and Loathing in America, an anthology of his letters starting in 1968. I read the book while waiting for Olivia when I pick her up from soccer practice. I have no plans to read another biography of HST; I will go back and re-read his original works instead.

Years ago, when I was transitioning from my role as the commander of the flagship hospital for USAF's Air Combat Command, I slept in my office for about two weeks. I was quite depressed at the time knowing that I was leaving the best job in the world. I would make myself scarce between 2200 and 2400 when the cleaning staff came in but but then return to sleep on a small couch. HST's Hell's Angels kept me company. HST probably saved my life. A bit of hyperbole, but perhaps not much.

Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway is a prose poem. Parts of HST's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas are also a prose poem, lyrical and so incredibly wonderful to read.

John von Neumann: one of the aliens that landed in Hungary some decades ago.

2 comments:

  1. Here is what Hess and XTO were paying this year. I didn't want to dig too much.

    Hess XTO
    1/22 84.11
    12/21 73.73 68.89
    11/21 80.40 75.85
    10/21 75.56 77.92
    9/21 71.99 67.94
    8/21 72.56 54.81
    7/21 72.54 66.85
    6/21 71.39 66.85
    5/21 65.78 61.61
    4/21 62.44 59.15
    3/21 61.95 57.81
    2/21 59.31 42.12
    1/21 50.54

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on notes from a few other readers, the prices paid can vary significantly, even from the same operator, from well to well.

      For newbies, then, I don't know if these numbers are averages across the board, prices from "typical" wells, etc.

      In addition, I would imagine most mom-and-pop mineral owners have interests in wells in a rather "narrow" geographic area, whereas operators have hundreds of wells spread across much of the Bakken. So many variables.

      Delete