Monday, September 23, 2019

Bakken Phenomena: Inter-Formation-Uplift; New Lease On Life -- September 23, 2019

I've quit posting parent-child uplift data for the most part; only when it interests me. It's so common in the Bakken, it's no longer news.

However, it should be noted, that for a number of reasons (which should be obvious) the parent-child uplift data generally involves parent wells and daughter/child wells targeting the same formation. In the Bakken, this is generally the middle Bakken.

Without comment or hypothesizing or explanation or anything else, there is another Bakken phenomenon: parent-child uplift involving different formations.

First example that I have specifically pointed out is at this post, a middle Bakken parent well and a Three Forks second bench well.

There have been numerous examples of similar results involving the middle Bakken and the Three Forks, first bench, and I guess I have pointed them out, but not as clearly as I'm pointing it out now. I need a new tag for this phenomenon, perhaps, "parent-child-inter-formation-uplift."

There's also another phenomenon for which I need a tag. Often, an older well is starting to show its age; the decline rate has leveled off and one gets the feeling that the well is beginning to "peter out." Then a neighboring well(s) is (are) completed, and the parent well gets an "extension." There is no significant jump in production (if there is a jump, it is subtle and folks would suggest something else is going on) but the decline rate is extended. The result: the EUR increases. Tag for now, "parent-well-new-lease-on-life" is way too long but I need a placeholder. Maybe "EUR_extended" or "EUR_EXT."

I suppose I could call all these Bakken phenomena, the Bakken gods smile on Harold Hamm. LOL. They may not be enough to move the needle for the operators, but mom-and-pop mineral owners love them and I'm sure the Slawson brothers get a chuckle out of them (or out of my naiveté ).

2 comments:

  1. 1. Wells from one formation to the next impact each other (good or bad). They are close enough in depth. That's why bores from different layers are "wineracked" rather than put directly above each other.

    2. You can be tired of talking about it, but I need some clear math definition and then statistics to back up the halo effect idea. Individual well logs are too anecdotal.

    ReplyDelete