Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Nice Sagebrush Madison Well in Bottineau County; Five Wells On One Pad -- North Dakota, USA

Update: this is from the first comment below (in the comment section).
#19236, 680, Petro Harvester/Sagebrush, Asheim 2, in the Renville oil field in Bottineau County, is in fact two (2) wells with one lateral each. Both laterals start at the same point and are about three (3) degrees apart; one extends about 2,400 feet and the other about 3,200 feet. The actual formation is the Wayne formation, part of the Madison Group.  According to that link the Spearfish is the youngest oil-producing formation in North Dakota which unconformably overlies the Madison Group across much of eastern North Dakota. The Spearfish Formation is productive where oil has migrated into it from Madison Group strata.
This is another stratigraphic link I have found useful.

Original Posting

Yesterday (Friday, January 14, 2011) I posted my usual update regarding new permits, and highlighted several very nice Newfield and EOG wells, all with IPs around 1,000 or significantly higher.

I purposely left one very good well off the list because its IP paled in comparison to these thousand-bbl IPs and I did not want to get newbies wondering if there was a problem with a well with an IP less than a 1,000.

So, now to make up for that oversight, another great well that was noted in yesterday's daily activity report was #19236, 680, Sagebrush, Asheim 2, in the Renville oil field in Bottineau County.  This has to be one of the best wells in that field. Not only that, this is a) not a horizontal well (if I understand the designation correctly); and, b) not a Bakken well. It is a Madison well.

The obvious question is whether the IP as reported is a 24-hour flowback, or something else. If this is a 24-hour flowback, this is a huge well for a Madison.

For comparison, from my database here are the IPs of other Madison wells that reported in 2010:
  • 18612, 25, WLL, BSMU 3602X, Big Stick, Billings County
  • 18625, 368, WLL, BSMU 3604, Big Stick, Billings County
  • 18738, 50, Jayhawk, Knudsen 1, Crosby, Divide County
  • 18740, 30, Jayhawk, Jenks 1, Crosby, Divide County
  • 18899, 1, Sagebrush, Busch 2-5, Portal, Burke County
  • 18902, 2, Sagebrush, Busch 10-5, Portal, Burke County
  • 18962, 55, Sagebrush, Lodoen 11-7H, Kuroki, Bottineau County
  • 18986, 59, Sagebrush, Johnston 1-22, Columbus, Burke County
  • 19027, 111, Sagebrush, Erickson Et Al 1B, Renville, Bottineau
  • 19028, 98, Sagebrush, Erickson Et Al 3B, Renville, Bottineau
  • 19062, 37, Sagebrush, Wright 12-12H, Kuroki, Bottineau
  • 19139, 99, Sagebrush, Erickson Et Al 1A, Renville, Bottineau
  • 19177, 95, Cornerstone, Rawn 4-26H, Wildcat, Burke
  • 19194, 37, Sagebrush, Lodoen 11-8H, Kuroki, Bottineau
Others, plugged or producing:
  • 18751, Cornerstone, Karpyak 4P-33H, Upper Des Lacs, Burke
By the way, look again at #19139, Erickson Et Al 1A. That is one of five wells that Sagebrush is putting on one pad, SWSE 30-162N-82W:
  • 19140, Erickson Et Al 4B
  • 19141, Erickosn Et Al 3A
  • 19142, Erickson Et Al 4A
  • 19143, Erickson Et Al 2B
By the way, I have to thank an "anonymous" reader for calling attention to the Sagebrush well in Bottineau County. Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. BRUCE,
    THE SAGEBRUSH WELL #19236 IS REALLY 2 WELLS AND THERE ARE 2 LATERALS. THERE ARE 2 CASINGS AND 2 PUMPS. NDIC REQUIRED A FIELD UNIT TO BE SET UP FOR THE SECOND STRING TO BE DRILLED. BOTH LATERALS START AT THE SAME POINT AND ARE ABOUT 3 DEG APPART. ONE IS ABOUT 2400 FEET AND THE OTHER ABOUT 3200 FEET. THEY FOLLOW THE CREST OF A DOME. THE FORMATION LISTED IS WAYNES PLAY, PART OF THE MADISON. THERE ARE MORE WELLS FOR YOUR MADISON LIST IF YOU INCLUDE THE SPEARFISH. IT IS PART OF THE MADISON 4 LAYERS ABOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very useful information, thank you.

    I will copy/paste it to the main body of the posting since some folks may not read the comments.

    Thank you. This will really be of value to the individual who wrote in earlier today asking about this well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRUCE,
    I WOULD PUT UP MY NAME, BUT DONT KNOW HOW. I HAVE LISTED COMMENTS BEFORE. ONE ASKED ABOUT WHO THE FRACKERS ARE. I FOLLOW THE MADISON IN BOTTINEAU COUNTY BECAUSE I HAVE MINERAL ACREAGE THERE. I HAVE ACCESS TO THE PREMIUM PART OF THE NDIC SITE. I READ LOTS OF WELL FILES, BUT AM AT A LOSS AS TO SOME OF THE TERMS. IN PRODUCTION REPORTS RUNS ARE LISTED WITH OIL, WATER AND GAS OUTPUT.I AM GUESSING THIS HAS TO DO WITH THE PUMPING., MAYBE THE STROKES OF THE PUMP. SOMETIMES THE RUNS ARE VERY CLOSE TO THE BOPD. THIS COULD INDICATE A STRONG FIELD, BUT I DONT KNOW. A LIST OF TERMS WOULD BE HANDY FOR LAYMEN LIKE ME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Regarding your name. Not an issue. If you have a Google mail account you might get a drop-down menu below the comment box giving you an option how to "sign" your comment. My drop-down menu gives me many options, including my name, anonymous, etc.

    2. I remember very well when you wrote in asking about the list of frackers. I was taken aback for a few moments trying to figure out how to answer that one, and then the Halliburton story really helped out. Serendipity.

    3. I have a list of acronyms on my FAQ tab at the top of my blog page. I often google terms I don't know; amazing how many actually show up but sometimes hard still hard to find. I'm sure NDIC would provide answers, and/or asking on the Bakken Shale Discussion Group. They are very helpful and I think would appreciate more folks commenting there.

    4. I am seriously tempted to subscribe to NDIC's premium service but am afraid that my obsessive-compulsive nature would result in all that information overwhelming me.

    5. And, finally, back to "signature." If you want to write a personal note, my e-mail address is easily available at the site (oksol@yahoo.com). But I generally don't have anything to add that I don't post. No secret agendas. No "insider information," ha.

    6. I'm going out on a limb here, but in the two columns next to each other: "BBLS oil" and "BBLS Run." I think the first column "BBLS oil" is the actual amount of oil brought up in that time period; the "BBLS run" is the actual amount of oil they sold, or "ran" into the pipeline or truck to be taken away for sale. If the "BBLS run" exceeds production for that time period, it was oil from a previous reporting period that was added to the "run." If that makes sense. But, yes, generally the "BBLS oil" and "BBLS run" are very close in volume.

    Again, I really appreciate the information regarding the Sagebrush / Madison wells.

    ReplyDelete