Thursday, November 7, 2019

Permian Gas Flaring Hits Another High -- 752 Million Cubic Feet Per Day -- November 7, 2019

Updates

November 9, 2019: see first comment.
Unless I have my math wrong, I figure New Mexico's natural gas consumption to be 743 mcf / day, so the Permian is burning off enough natural gas to power the whole state..
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/ng_cons_sum_dcu_SNM_a.htm
Original Post

I don't care much way or the other regarding flaring, but flaring provides a great proxy for "activity" in the shale plays. The Oil & Gas Journal link is here.

752 million cubic feet rounds to one billion cubic feet per day. The Bakken is producing ... drum roll ... about three billion cubic feet of natural per day. The Permian is flaring about one-third that amount. That sort of puts things into perspective. By the way, I'm missing a Thursday night NFL game streaming on Amazon Prime. Good luck to all.

From Rystad/twitter today:



4 comments:

  1. Bakken flared 577 MCF/d in AUG. And 670 MCF/d in JUL.

    It actually seems pretty recent that the Permian passed the Bakken in total flaring volumes. And of course the Bakken flares a higher percentage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Permian is an old field; a lot of the infrastructure was already in place to handle all the natural gas. The Bakken simply "exploded" without the needed infrastructure.

      Delete
  2. unless i have my math wrong, i figure New Mexico's natural gas consumption to be 743 mcf / day, so the Permian is burning off enough natural gas to power the whole state..

    https://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/ng_cons_sum_dcu_SNM_a.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in getting this posted. I was waiting to post it when I had more time to comment but I just got too busy and thought it better to post it before I forgot.

      I doubt your numbers are wrong. Population of New Mexico not al lthat great, and not a lot of industrial energy needs. Truly amazing how "energy" the Permian has.

      Delete