Thursday, August 4, 2011

Two Stories On Fracking -- Good News and Bad News -- Bakken, North Dakota, USA

First, the bad news: EPA Taking First Step Toward Fracking Regulations

The good news: Fracking May Increase Faster Than Expectations Due To CAPEX By Majors

It will be interesting to see if states with dire budgetary problems and potential oil and gas windfall profits, take EPA action in stride without fighting new rules. Watch New York state, Pennsylvania, and Ohio, to see if these states take any negative EPA action lying down.

My hunch is that ... ah, just skip it. We all have our own thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Not sure why you consider the EPA story to be bad news. Did you read the article? Here's the salient part--seems pretty reasonable to me...

    The regulations proposed by the EPA are already in place in some states, such as Wyoming and Colorado, where fraccing has proceeded unabated. Moreover, as the EPA noted, the new regulations could actually force companies to make some upfront investment in technology that captures gas that currently leaks into the atmosphere. This will pay off at a later date by increasing marketable gas and, according to the EPA, saving the industry US$30mn annually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I saw the positive comments, but once the process gets into the political arena, who knows where it will go.

    If you trust the EPA, then it's good news.

    I don't trust EPA bureaucrats living in Washington making decisions for states out west.

    I agree with you -- "...already in place in some states..." Let the states set the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce, just for clarification, I'm no lover of the current crop of crooks in DC either. But in principle, I do think 'the commons' need a bit of regulation. And typically, I'll somewhat blindly support a regulation I think we need--rather than to focus an the idiots hired to enforce it. That said, I don't mean to give you a hard time. I'm pretty much apolitical and think our government is dysfunctional mess. But without a bit of regulation, we could all end up living in Potterville.

    ReplyDelete