Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Newfield Update

Link here.

Newfield is an oil and gas exploration company and has operations across North America and off-shore in deep water Gulf of Mexico. This discussion is limited to the Bakken (with a few general comments about the entire Rocky Mountain region).  From the Rocky Mountain region, Newfield's production is nearly 25,000 boepd. 

Newfield still has four (4) operated rigs in the Williston Basin. NFX has successfully assessed the Ctwalk, Aquarium and Watford areas and has now entered the development drilling phase.

Newfield states that long lateral have improved operating efficiencies in the Williston Basin: cost per foot for laterals has averaged about $1,250/foot on short laterals. The company estimates that the cost per foot can be dropped to about $900/foot for long laterals. Newfield's cost per well is about the same as we've seen for others: $5 million to $ million. Beginning in 2011, NFX expects to drill only long laterals. I did not see any comments on company's feelings about fracturing (type or number of stages).

Recently completed NFX wells, some previously reported.

17919, 2,360, Newfield, Clear Creek Federal 1-25H, Westberg,
17925, 2,293, Newfield, Wahus 1-12H, Westberg
18641, 2,519, Newfield, Megamouth 1-8H, northeast of Watford City,
17918, 2,922, Newfield, Clear Creek Federal 1-26H, Westberg
18741, 1,532, Newfield, Dahl 1-5H, northeast of Watford City
19026, 1,841, Newfield, Sawfish 1-1H, northeast of Watford City
18497, 2,114, Newfield, Ursus 1-20H, Lost Bear, Bakken

4 comments:

  1. i see newfield is placing their fraccs at approx 240 ft intervals, where others in the bakken are using approx 400 spacing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look at this when I get home from substitute teaching. The 240-foot spacing is very, very interesting.

    I think this blog was one of the first to talk about frac-spacing based on how many laterals WLL was putting in a section in the Sanish. Again, this validates my hunch that fracking doesn't extend out very far from the lateral.

    Thank you for posting; I will talk about it later as a stand-alone post, if I don't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lateral extent of fracturing looks to be considerably greater than the 'thickness' of a fracture at least as I interpret the results coming from microseismic sensoring. The 'thickness' relates more to a determination of optimum stage densities and the lateral extent of fracturing more to optimum well spacings. It also seems likely that where there is fracture overlap, fracture density is increased.

    Hess342

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. My observations and conclusions are pretty simplistic -- for obvious reasons: I don't understand the geology / technology all that well, and I certainly don't have access to necessary data, and if I did, I wouldn't understand it.

    I may simply minimize voicing my thoughts on this subject for the time-being and see how this plays out.

    ReplyDelete