Thursday, September 27, 2018

The Bakken -- It Simply Never Quits -- September 27, 2018

This was recently posted, but I missed a small but interesting point. When ONEOK announced it was going to build yet another natural gas processing plant, I was unaware that they had not yet completed the one they are currently building, Demicks Lake 1. From The Bismarck Tribune:
A company that’s constructing a new natural gas processing plant in the core of the Bakken announced plans this week for a second plant, doubling the size of the project.
Oneok plans to construct Demicks Lake II in McKenzie County, adding 200 million cubic feet per day of processing capacity.
Demicks Lake I, which also will have a capacity of 200 million cubic feet per day, is under construction but expected to reach capacity soon after it’s complete, Terry Spencer, Oneok president and CEO, said in a news release.
That increased the need for the Demicks Lake II plant, a $410 million project.
I think this simply incredible. It's a big story that yet another natural gas plant is being built, but to learn that it would be oversubscribed as soon as it was completed, and would necessitate expansion or another processing plant altogether.

**********************************
Manic Monday

Yeah, I know it's Thursday, but "manic Thursday" doesn't work. LOL.

Wow, I'm in a great mood.

I try to ride my bike every day, even during the winter. I remember riding during snow days in Boston. Slipping and sliding.

Every day I ride, I grade the riding conditions on a scale of 0 - 10, in half point increments, based on: wind; precipitation/humidity; and, temperature (seasonally adjusted).

Temperature is seasonally adjusted because one can "dress" for the weather. The other two are not seasonally adjusted --

Best riding weather is 8.0 - 10.0, obviously. I generally won't ride if the number is below 6.0. Vertical snow might drop a half point, but horizontal snow easily knocks off four or five points. Rain? Depends. But a light drizzle, only a half point or so. A sudden downpour, four or five points. I won't start out in a downpour, but I occasionally get caught in one (poor planning on my part and I deserve no sympathy).

I do not allow any day to get a grade greater than 10.0 but if I could, today's grade would have been 12 to 14. They used to call this weather "Indian summer" but to be politically correct, I guess we either call it "Native American summer" or ... whatever.

Wow, it was gorgeous today.

**************************
What A Great Country

I biked to Starbucks this morning, about 6:00 a.m. Sunrise at 7:14 a.m. I had been there about 90 minutes. At 8:00 a.m. my wife telephoned to tell me the "GasCap" light lit up on the dashboard of our very old Chrysler minivan, closely followed by the "EngineLight."

I left my back pack; my computer; my cellphone -- everything -- on "my" chair at Starbucks, and promptly got up and walked up to the Firestone Service Center about a block away. I told my wife I would meet her there. She arrived shortly thereafter. Chris, at Firestone, said he would take care of it, but he said the $100 diagnostic test that was mandated by the company would not be worth it. He said to go down the street to Chrysler and buy a new gas cap ("do not buy an after-market gas cap") -- if that doesn't solve the problem, he would gladly see me and take care of the problem.

My wife arrived, we drove down to Chrysler, and got the gas cap. The problem was solved.

My wife brought me back to Starbucks -- my stuff was still there -- someone saw me leave earlier and wondered -- but with my bike still there, they knew I would be coming back ...

Later, my wife called to confirm that the"EngineLight" also disappeared. I bought a $20 Jimmy John's gift card and gave it to Chris at Firestone on my bike ride home.

*****************************
The Bakken

I'm not going to post any new data here, but suffice to say, the Bakken is staggering. Absolutely staggering. I hope folks reading the blog are getting that same feeling. If not, I'm obviously not doing my job.

Elenore, The Turtles

No comments:

Post a Comment