Monday, December 12, 2011

Commercial Interruption -- Christmas Gifts -- The Bakken, North Dakota, USA

Updates

December 23, 2013: Faces of the Bakken -- Chuck Wilder, Owner, Books on Broadway. 

Independent bookstore owner Chuck Wilder noticed a change in business four years ago when guys in Halliburton coveralls started coming into his shop.

Books on Broadway started getting new customers, including a more educated set of oilfield workers than previous oil booms had brought to Williston.
“These guys, they all have engineering degrees and they’re readers,” Wilder said.
The oil boom has been good for business in the downtown shop. Holiday sales are up this year, and the store can’t keep its top seller, “The Frackers” by Gregory Zuckerman, in stock. 
Original Post

For those living and working in the heart of the Bakken: remember Home of Economy, Williston, North Dakota, for all kinds of great Christmas ideas. Also, great Holiday gifts. They do have gift cards.

In Williston, your Carhartt product won't stand out, but it will keep you very, very warm. In Boston, where I am for the moment, the Carhartt is relatively unique, and it keeps me very, very warm. I was pleasantly surprised. Unlike many "winter" jackets, it feels very "substantial."

And for those living anywhere in the world where things are still mailed, remember Bakkenduds. In the Boston area there are 25 colleges or universities. The Bakken University hoodie fits right in. And they have a new product: the "Frack!" baseball cap.

And, either at Home of Economy, or on-line, I remain very, very impressed with Sorel. I love my autumn ankle-high boots; they are extremely warm and very, very comfortable. I think the sole is about an inch or so thick, so it makes me feel a bit taller and the rubber-like material puts a bit of spring in one's step, or it could just be "feelin' good about the Bakken."  As mentioned earlier about Sorel, I think I got my pair of Sorel autumn boots at a slightly lower price at Home of Economy than on-line, although the actual products might be slightly different. I don't know if Sorel on-line offers free shipping.

As long as I'm rambling, here's a very nice Christmas suggestion for Willistonites with parents still living in the area. With all the activity, it can be a real hassle shopping for tires. Dad needed new tires on his car while I was there. We stopped at four different locations in Williston, including Wal-Mart, to compare availability and prices. The prices were all about the same. You can shop on price, but you will be wasting a bit of time (at least that's my opinion, but I am fortunate enough to be able not to worry about an extra few bucks here and there; not all folks may be so fortunate; so look around just in case).

Anyway, I digress. I finally went with Home of Economy. This is most important: go in when they might not be so busy, say Tuesday or Thursday afternoon. Bring in a big white piece of paper with all your information (name, phone, tire size, etc) and then schedule a time to have the tires put on your car. So who cares if it takes a week? It's worth the wait if you can come in at an appointed time.  I would recommend an 8:00 a.m. appointment. Drop off the car and walk back home or walk to work. Unless your work place is outside city limits, I don't think it takes more than an hour to walk anywhere in Williston. Or have a friend take you.

Oh, why do I recommend a big white piece of paper with all your information when you go to Home of Economy? One can't see the writing on black paper. No, it bugs me when folks take your information down on a scrap of paper which you just know is going to get lost. Also, I think CSRs (customer service representatives) appreciate you taking the time to write things down; it suggests you put some thought into this buying experience. 

The reason I prefer Home of Economy over the other tire stores: while waiting, one can shop in the rest of the store. Not much to do at the other tire stores except wait in line, looking at tires. Wal-Mart offers that same in-store waiting/shoppig opportunity, but it seems to be a bit more nerve-wracking: noisier, groups of people congregating at the service desk, phones ringing and being answered; customers in line seem to take back seat to the phone. But that too is just an opinion. I also don't know how much experience the folks have with tires, although that has never seemed to be a problem.  It's a very long walk from the parking lot to the  front of the store, and then an even longer walk back to the tire department. Home of Economy still had a bit of that "home" feeling I was used to; Wal-Mart, not so much. And there is almost no walking when it comes to Home of Economy. But I have no complaints with Wal-Mart. It may be Wal-Mart but it's staffed by folks that live next to you in Williston (or in the general area).

At Home of Economy I spoke directly with the tire-putter-on (I forget his name, shame on me).  I made some suggestions and he pleasantly told me I was full of bunk, reading too many tree-hugger websites. He had lived and breathed tires since he was 8 years old, seen it all, and knew what he was doing. The front desk folks concurred. He was right in his suggestions. And lots of fun to chat with, but best not to start a conversation; he may not get to your tires before lunch if you engage in chit chat.

Note: no one has asked me to put these notes up; I receive nothing for putting these notes up; purely something I enjoy doing.

I would also recommend the coffee-internet shop on Main Street in Williston, though they can be a bit slow. If you go there, go there to relax.

The Scenic Sports Shop east of Williston on 1804 is interesting.

I visited a mom-and-pop bookstore in the very, very touristy town of Rockport, Massachusetts, north of Boston, and was sorely disappointed. You folks have no idea how good the Books On Broadway store is in Williston. Chuck's regional selection was so much better than what they had at Rockport; Rockport did not have one book on the Bakken. Chuck's contemporary / non-regional stuff is superb. Even if you buy books from Amazon, support your local bookseller for some of your items. Chuck can offer great advice; I've always felt part of the buying experience is the buying experience. And Books on Broadway is not just books; lots of great Christmas idea. Lots.

Okay, enough of this. I could go on. Maybe later I will.

2 comments:

  1. I believe most of us have a few special Charities, i have had another good and blessed year.. just being healthy is the best gift a person can have..
    Please send a donation to the charities of your choice, as there are some who have not had as good of a year..
    May the Blessing of Christmas be with you all..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so correct about being fortunate to be healthy. I take it for granted way too often, but am reminded when I see some of the folks on the street.

    Charities are a superb idea. The military had an annual charity drive; very well done. Commanders knew who gave and who didn't -- that I did not like but it was the military, what can I say?

    I now prefer local charities. One of the life insurance companies matches your charitable giving and offers on-line way of donating. I took advantage of this to donate to Williston charities. I would love to say who they were, but something tells me I don't want to go down that road.

    Suffice it to say: lots of local charities. Didn't I just read in the Williston Herald there are 91 school children in Williston meeting definition of "homeless." Starting right there, I can think of some worthwhile charities. Those would be the folks with the incessant ringing (smile) and the big pots.

    Get your anonymous fifteen minutes of fame: put a large contribution in one of those buckets and you will see the story in the paper.

    ReplyDelete