Friday, October 7, 2011

Huge, Huge, Huge -- I Was Going to Post This Later But It's Too Important -- Bakken, North Dakota, USA

Link here.

Read the third paragraph of that story:
North Dakota was producing 440,000 barrels a day in August, according to Helms. While some counties may not produce as much as others, Helms predicted that North Dakota could produce up to 800,000 barrels a day by the end of 2011. [July production: 423,550 bopd; June production: 384,809 bopd]
Then the next paragraph:
The United States produces 5.5 million barrels a day. Helms said North Dakota will contribute close to 15 percent of the country’s oil when it reaches 800,000 barrels a day.
One of the reasons I started this blog (which I don't talk about much) is that when I first read about the Bakken, there were folks who said it was being over-hyped and would never provide much energy for the nation as a whole. I agreed. I knew that locally this was a huge story, but I did not think that the Bakken would move the needle nationally. But 15 percent -- yes, in some circles that is moving the needle. And this is oil found predominantly in four counties, although Stark will soon be added to the mix, along with a few others in the southwest part of the state.

I assume we will see the October "Director's Cut" early next week. Maybe Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment