Sunday, March 20, 2011

BEXP Has Another Gusher; A Wildcat East of Williston; Near Stockyard Creek -- Bakken, North Dakota, USA

The Bakken never fails to surprise me and I think that's why I like blogging about it. I liked looking for Easter eggs growing up; and, I like doing Sudoku puzzles, so maybe it all connects. Tracking the Bakken is a lot like both (looking for Easter eggs and filling in Sudoku puzzles).

Now that the Bakken inside the state of North Dakota has a three-year history, it is easier to compare wells among the various fields and among the various producers. Early on there in the North Dakota Bakken there was a discussion on the relevancy of IPs, but it seems that, although the jury is still out on the verdict, the evidence is pointing to an answer.

There is an interesting story being told just east of Williston in the Stockyard field. This is an extremely small field (only one township) but it is an extremely active area. I first wrote about it almost one year ago:
But this is what got me excited about the Stockyard Creek, and again, I have to thank a reader for sending me this information: at the link noted above, the writer noted that Gene 1-22H, #18009,  a Zavanna well in this field, section 22, has been completed and is flowing at 2,936 boepd. A second well on the confidential list, #18015, is also a Zavanna well, Grasser 1-26H, sited on the same pad as the Gene well but will be drilling NW to SE.  These two wells are on a pad exactly one mile south of the highway about midway through the field.
At the time, I noted that the field was 41 sections, all of one township except for section 36 and an additional 6 sections in an adjoining township on the northwest. Either I was mistaken at that time, or the field has been changed: according to the GIS map server, Stockyard Creek has now "lost" those "additional 6 sections" -- now part of the Epping field -- and has all of the township except sections 25, 31, and 36, for a total of 33 sections.

Just two miles to the west of this field, BEXP has a new well, and in hearing dockets for March 24, 2011, BEXP is requesting temporary spacing for that well (case 14359):
  • 19406, 3,761, BEXP, Knoshaug 14-11 1H, wildcat, spudded 9/10; tested 1/11 (four months between spudding and testing; again, weather and a fracking backlog; no work was being done in January)
This looks like another huge well for BEXP.  Apparently it produced more than 12,000 barrels in five days in January. At $75/barrel, that's almost $1 million in those five days.

As noted above, Zavanna has a nice well in the Grasser 1-26H, and, in general, it appears Stockyard Creek is going to have some nice wells, but again, BEXP comes through with a monster well (or at least it seems right now).


The Stockyard Creek needs to be updated which I will do later.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Thank you for the most informative and comprehensive site about the Bakken Shale that I have found over the past several years. I am a daughter of a mineral rights holder who has dreamed her entire 80 year life of 'getting an oil well'. I am also a Williston native with many family members still in NW ND farming, and also waiting for that well. Your site is the best source of information that we have, espcialy out of state. Our family recently signed new leases on a section but only a minority of the family is in ND. Your blog has really helped us stay more informed and hopefully helped our negotiations. I have sent your link to all my family in GA, LA, ND, FL, WA, and hopefully I can update you with a producing well soon. Thanks again for such a great site that does all the leg work for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started the site because I was having trouble understanding what was going on, and then decided to share it with others as an educational site only.

    The site has evolved, and on occasion I wonder if there is any reason to continue, since the pattern in the Bakken seems to have been set and I understand it about as well as I had hoped.

    And then I get a note from someone like you with comments like yours, and it makes it all worthwhile.

    Good luck on your mineral rights. Sometimes it takes awhile.

    I do make mistakes (probably a lot of mistakes) on my site, so if something doesn't make sense, please let me know, or check it out with someone else.

    Finally, ignore my political rants. I often wonder whether my political rants detract from my overall site, but it's hard to remain quiet on some subjects, and I don't want to start another blog just for political comments.

    Thank you for you kind comments. Let me know if you have any specific information, and I will help if I can. I don't know more than what is publicly available, but sometimes I can offer an explanation or another site to go to for an answer.

    Again, good luck on your mineral rights. For some, the anticipation/dream is worth almost as much as the well itself if it comes in. Sort of like a lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce, I too would like to thank you for your work and this site. I find it all fascinating, and as an out of state surface and mineral owner near Dickinson, this is a great place to get information. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments.

    The blog is not as professional as I would like but I'm pretty much just an armchair observer. But in the process, I feel I have a much better feel of the Bakken.

    I remain inappropriately exuberant in my postings regarding the Bakken. Off-line I am much more conservative in my investing actions. Very conservative.

    And I am always happy to answer specific questions if possible, and correct posts when I have made errors.

    ReplyDelete