Tuesday, August 30, 2022

The #14 Sandwich; Canadian Oil Demand; And, The Heat in California -- August 30, 2022

Canadian oil demand, link here:

Weather, not climate: I don't know if this is accurate. Feel free to fact check. From twitter.

 

***********************
The #14 Sandwich

My favorite sandwich growing up in Williston: genuine, original Braunschweiger with Kraft salad dressing on day-old white bread. Now, the bar has been raised.

The #14 Sandwich is pure bliss. The secret: everything in moderation, except perhaps the lettuce. It's really impossible to have too much lettuce, but one wants thin slices of braunschweiger and not an excess of grape jelly. Blackberry jelly might be better.  

September 1, 2022: after all the discussion, I was curious how much braunschweiger I actually place on a sandwich:


  • 2.5 ounces - 1.2 ounce = 1.3 ounce.
  • 16-ounce / 1.3 ounce = 12 sandwiches.

Ingredients:

  • braunschweiger: $3.59. Looks like I can make 15 sandwiches, minimum.
  • jelly: $2.59. Look like I can make 50 sandwiches, minimum.
  • lettuce: $1.59 for a head of lettuce. Looks like I can a minimum of 20 sandwiches from one head of lettuce
  • butter: insignificant.
  • white bread, store brand, one loaf $1.19, so 15 sandwiches?

Cost for one sandwich:

  • 3.59 / 15 = 25 cents
  • 2.59 / 50 = 5 cents
  • 1.59 / 20 = 8 cents
  • 1.19 / 15 = 8 cents

Total: 46 cents.

No tip.

No delivery charge.

****************************
The Music Page

First two seasons, "Only Murders in the Building."

Season two, "Only Murders in the Building."

"Manhattan" was done twice. First by Jan and Dean, second by The Supremes.

10 comments:

  1. At fifteen slices of braunschweiger to the pound, one could probably read this fine blog through a slice! Take a walk on the wild side; quadruple it, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do slice it very, very fine. There are pre-cut slices of braunschweiger available but those slices are approximately three times thicker than what I would want. It's amazing how little sandwich meat I put on my sandwiches -- same with salami -- incredibly thin. I suppose it's mostly for the salt.

      Delete
    2. Well, that definitely makes some sense!
      "Braunschweiger is a high-sodium food. Three ounces contain 970 milligrams, which is 40 percent of the daily recommend intake for healthy adults".
      Still and all, at age 80 I'd rather "go big or stay home".I'm inclined to simply adjust over indulgence with intermittent fasting (which I've done for the last forty years). No weight, cholesterol, blood pressure issues here!. "Food" for thought....
      Personally, I like to sink my "remaining" teeth into a big sandwich, which means a lot of protein!
      You'll probably dance on my grave but I'll be smiling.....

      Delete
    3. Roast beef, yes. Braunschweiger, no."

      Delete
    4. We'll see. I doubt more than one or two of us really have any interest in liverwurst.

      Delete
    5. Making me hungry for a liverwurst and onion on white bread

      Delete
    6. Yeah, if it's deli, need to have onions ... though I would take them off ...

      Delete
  2. I buy this on occasion. but rye bread, butter, and braunschweiger. don

    ReplyDelete