Thursday, January 28, 2021

The Twelve Best MLP And Pipeline Stocks -- January 28, 2021

Best quote I've seen in the last 24 hours: It’s worth being older now, to have been young then.

Investing 101: a re-look, and why aren't folks talking about this?

I had this in the queue to post a couple of weeks ago and then trashed it for a variety of reasons, but after the Schwab Webex call yesterday, it seems worthwhile to put it back in the queue. We'll discuss it later. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/12-best-mlp-pipeline-stocks-173955536.html.

There are three things why some folks don't like MLPs:

  • K-1's
  • taxes on dividends
  • Canadian companies

Quick responses:

  • by the time folks are ready to be investing in MLPs, it might behoove them to hire someone to do their taxes. Anyone who raises the K-1 issue with me speaks volumes. I assume these are the same folks that change the oil in their own cars.
  • the US Congress solved the problem with taxes on dividends; that is no longer an issue; it hasn't been an issue for decades;
  • there are plenty of non-Canadian MLPs in which to invest;

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. 

I've blogged about this book on several occasions. Several years ago I borrowed this book from my brother-in-law, Jorge: The Age of Entanglement: When Quantum Physics Was Reborn, Louisa Gilder, c. 2008. I took it home and loved it. Some time later, I learned that, in fact, the book did not belong to my brother-in-law but belonged to one of his daughters, my niece, and she wanted it back. Well, suffice it to say, I had marked it up and dog-eared it and whatever, so I ended up buying a brand new copy and sending it to her, my niece. LOL.

Now, while I had the book on loan from my brother-in-law, one would say that there was only one book on loan. However, when it turned out that my niece had loaned the book to her dad and then I borrowed it from him, some might suggest there were actually two copies on loan. Both individuals could call for the copy to be returned, and if they both wanted it the same day for some peculiar reason, two copies had to be found. 

To the best of my knowledge, if I borrow a book from the city library, there is nothing in the fine print that says I can't, in turn, loan it to Sophia to read. The library sees one copy on loan. From 30,000 feet, someone else sees two copies on loan.

Just a parable, of sorts, I suppose. But a true story, nonetheless.  

White privilege

Stand By Me, Skylar Grey

4 comments:

  1. As a generalization and all things being equal, I think it is better to invest in the General Partner than to invest in its MLP! It all hearkens back to the adage "never give a sucker an even break!" I doubt any general partner gives a limited partner more than is necessary to get his money. It's the American way! (just foolin' around, but there is a history here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't know. My hunch is you are absolutely correct.

      Delete
  2. In re: the quote. One of my all time fav musical lines is from Bob Seger. "Wish I didnt know now what I didnt know then."
    Against the Wind. Great song and album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree completely. Always amazed at some of the lines, some of the hooks from great songwriters.

      Delete