Sunday, April 19, 2020

Whiting To Report A Nice Fladeland Well This Week -- April 19, 2020

Just when I'm ready to quit blogging for awhile, I come across another well that needs to be reported. This well is coming off the confidential list this week:
  • 36559, conf, Whting, Fladeland 14-26HU, Sanish,

  • DateOil RunsMCF Sold
    2-20202370928184
    1-20202638221471
    12-20193169013164
    11-2019373520
    10-2019116790
This is hard to believe. I've posted a gazillion posts mentioning the Whiting Fladeland wells, but it appears I've never dedicated a stand-alone post to the wells themselves. I will do that later. I'm calling it a day for blogging for awhile.

Later: the Fladeland wells are tracked here

*********************************
Book Recommendation

For high school juniors and seniors planning to major in biology in college or related fields, to include medicine, I would recommend they add Richard Fortey's Horseshoe Crabs and Velvet Worms: The Story of the Animals and Plants That Time Has Left Behind, c. 2012.

I picked up this book some time ago, but on the initial reading, I did not care for it. I put it down after a few pages.

But something drew me back to the book. And now I find it fascinating. As I've said many times on the blog, sometimes one's mind needs to be ready when reading certain books.

I am enjoying this book so much that I will order from Amazon two or three of the author's other books, sight unseen.

Interestingly, I've always said the best writers are English, Scottish, and Irish. Richard Fortey fits the bill. He was the senior paleontologist at the Natural History Museum in London until his retirement in 2006. His book, The Hidden Landscape, won him the Natural World Book of the Year in 1993. He has been short-listed for other awards and recognized for many others.

Fortey covers a lot of territory in Horseshoe Crabs and Velvet Worms. In fact, after the first couple of chapters, he has not mentioned either again.

Right now, he is talking about pigments in living things. My high school experience in physics was the weakest point in my education: because of that, I've never understood light, and I've never understood electricity (much less anything else about physics). A good life lesson how important an instructor can be. But I digress.

I am currently taking care of Sophia, Monday through Friday. She is five years old, Montessori student, out of school now due to "the virus." We have a very, very intense -- but highly enjoyable and eclectic -- school routine every day: reading, arithmetic, coins, using analog clock to tell time, instruments in the orchestra, birds, identification of birds by their sounds, the earth's continents, the five groups of vertebrates, the solar system, piano lessons (internet-based; incredible), construction (cardboard houses for Polly Pocket), Lego, chess, soccer, scooter, bicycling, planting garden plants, cooking/baking; painting.

Her vocabulary and use of words is incredible. And she is really funny. On our trips back and forth from the airport, we engage in incredible conversations. I wish they could all be recorded. One day she said she was really curious about something or other.

Then she said, "What does "curious" mean?" LOL. 

We stumbled across some great Crayola finger paints, and she uses them for brush painting on heavy paper. If you have a child about this age interested in painting, I can't recommend this enough. This is really incredible. Get at least five different pigments of these Crayola finger paints, and then place about a half-teaspoon or a teaspoon (at most) of each on a paper plate -- the palette. Don't say a thing to the child -- just let her paint. Watch how soon the child begins to combine paints to get different colors.

Well, I don't know a thing about RGB (the primary colors of light) and CYMK (the primary colors of pigments/paints) and additive colors and subtractive colors but with the help of YouTube, wikipedia, Crayola finger paints, and Sophia, I'm going to learn everything about color that I missed in high school physics. LOL. Poor Sophia. She doesn't know what is about to hit her come Monday (tomorrow). LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment