Thursday, February 14, 2019

Shock And Awe! The Shot Heard 'Round The World -- Happy Valentine's Day -- Amazon Has Already Seen Enough -- Pulls Out Of NYC Deal -- February 14, 2019

Amazon: no need to link this story. It will be everywhere. Bloomberg, de Blasio, Cuomo -- fit to be tied. 25,000 high-paying jobs lost. Occasional-Cortex taking a victory lap. I think I saw a data point that said the average job would be $150,0000; I think same source said it would ultimately bring $27 billion to Long Island area; apparently the area is already overwhelmed with development, with cranes everywhere. [Later: the Amazon - NY story was a "union" story and the unions won. That's how important this issue was for the unions. Everything else is simply idle chatter.]

********************
Later

It blows me away that the turnout for the election in which Occasional-Cortex won was 4%. That needs to be fact-checked, but it comes from a very reliable source. Four percent of the electorate bothered to show up to vote.

A huge slice of her district is Latino. I can't imagine any politician taking pride in losing 25,000 jobs for her constituents. And these were high-paying jobs. Every city of any consequence in this country competed to get this project.

This will take some time to sink in.

I don't watch network business news any more but one wonders what CNBC anchors think about this. I know what -- I forget his first name -- Kernan would have to say. LOL. Oh, that's right. Same as Biden's. Joe. Good ol' Joe. I wonder if he's even with CNBC any more. He was the only one with common sense and intelligence. Most had neither.

*********************************

The question I keep hearing is what did Amazon offer New York?

Answer: 25,000 high-paying jobs.

Not getting much attention but apparently the unions were against this: Jeff Bezos wanted to build this with non-union workers, and my hunch it had little to do with hourly wages; he wanted the job done without a lot of drama;

So what if the state did not get any direct property taxes / fees from Amazon? The sound bites are a bit confusing but it sounds like:
  • it was projected that Amazon would pay $27 billion in taxes over 10 years (I don't know if that's state taxes or something else)
  • Amazon was given a $3-billion incentive spread out of 10 years (again I don't know the details or the veracity of the soundbites
********************************
Throwing The Baby Out With The Bathwater

So, let's assume the Amazon - Long Island City project was a poor deal for New Yorkers. Instead of throwing the bums out why not try to re-negotiate the deal?

Governor Cuomo has it right. Mayor de Blasio completely blew it. But the, of course, de Blasio is cut from of the same cloth as Occasional-Cortex.

2 comments:

  1. Bruce
    I believe the yes votes for her were 16,000. So 16000 people are running the govt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's amazing. I doubt I will be able to "absorb" this for quite some time. My hunch is that de Blasio, Cuomo, Bloomberg, et al, are furious. LOL. Elections have consequences.

      Delete