Monday, September 19, 2022

Rambling Notes -- Not Ready For Prime Time -- September 19, 2022

Enjoying Life

Content, content, content: I've never enjoyed "television" so much. With all the streaming and all the options, it's hard to call it "television" any more.

NFL: two games n Monday Night Football now. Tonight, the Buffalo Bills game is incredible. With a few minutes still left in the third quarter the Bills are destroying the Tennessee Titans, 41 - 7.

Streaming: link here. Streaming wars. Tea leaves suggest Hulu is setting the gold standard.

  • it's no longer "content, content, content"
  • it's now all about execution, customer service, pricing
  • having said that, the "average" viewer won't switch once decision made 
  • the best combo right now: Hulu + Amazon Fire Stick +Amazon Prime Video
    • add on Netflex, HBO prn 

Perry Mason: after NFL tonight, I will watch another episode of Perry Mason.

*********************
Energy

WTI: Never has this adage been more true: it's a fool's errand to predict the price of oil.

Poll: I'm too tired tonight to take down the poll, but obviously the poll is over. 

  • The Biden administration has announced they will extend the SPR release by ten more days, to get past the mid-terms. Pretty funny.
  • this decision by the Biden administration is simply an "insurance policy"
    • releasing oil from the SPR is not driving the price of oil down

SPR: some one-liners

  • the SPR never mattered
  • the new SPR is the Permian, the Eagle Ford, and the Bakken
  • spud to production: 30 days if push comes to shove
  • how the SPR became "a thing" is beyond me
  • all that talk about "the need" to refill is simply that: talk. There is absolutely "no need" to refill the SPR
  • whether any administration refills the SPR or not no longer interests me (actually, it never did)

************************
The Market

I have no idea what the market is doing but I'm hearing through the grapevine, it's not good.

  • don't take that out of context; in general I know what's going on but I'm not following it on a daily basis
  • I haven't watched CNBC in a long time
  • twitter feed suggests Jim Cramer has really lost a lot of credibility; apparently he hasn't been compared to Cathie Wood yet but probably should be

Silver:

  • I still need to buy 2022 silver coins

I'm fortunate enough to have a robust revenue stream even in retirement. I invest in two tranches every month: the first and third week each month.

  • I don't check the market to see what to buy
  • I have a list of companies and when it's time to invest, I simply go down the list, work out the allocation, and buy

My allocation for the past six months: blue chip, 50%; tech, 30%; and, energy, 20%.

  • it's incredibly difficult to not increase the energy allocation but I'm so top-heavy in energy ... but ...

My favorite long-term company is still Apple. I have no idea how to classify AAPL now for investment purposes: blue chip or tech.

Indications are that Apple has a winner with its iPhone 14 Pro

  • apparently the high-end phones are the ones folks want
  • the low-end iPhone 14s are not selling
  • high-end = high-margin; low-end=low-margin

Dividends: more and more folks coming around on this issue.

Abbreviated disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here. Full disclaimer at tabbed link.

All my posts are done quickly: there will be content and typographical errors. If anything on any of my posts is important to you, go to the source. If/when I find typographical / content errors, I will correct them

No comments:

Post a Comment