Friday, October 22, 2021

Notes From All Over -- The Dead Lift Edition -- October 22, 2021

Phunware: connected with Trump's SPAC. Up 1,000% before pulling back today.

DWAC: up to $103 now from $10 last night after multiple trading stops today. 

Ticker in the news, one to watch: ME (23andme).

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site.  Do not make any investment, financial, job, career, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here
.

My favorite stockbroker, lol: Carl. The anti-Schwab broker.

Spanish phrase for the day: esta maƱana ("this morning") -- that's how our middle school principal opened his note to update parents and families on the lock down situation at the school earlier today.  All students are safe; the "event" is over; suspects in custody; students and teachers did not miss a beat. Local Texas law enforcement generally does not give lawbreakers "space" as they do in Baltimore.

First things first: US world strongman champion -- a Williston native

  • Andy Njos (pronounced "ness")
  • 82.5 kg weight class: record -- lifted a total of 900 pounds
  • connects with Rich Vestal (a legend in his own time, by the way) at Red River Supply
  • then to Buck Scheele (another legend in his own time), at WISCO
  • from there, established his own crane company (lifting weights)
  • Dacotah West Crane Service: 25 employees; seven cranes; as many as nine at one time;
  • took leave from his company having qualified for the World Strongman event
  • prior to all this: a severe motorcycle accident -- 45 days in ICU at Mayo in Rochester, MN
  • eleven surgeries then, and since then, an additional three surgeries
  • one knee replacement, using a cadaver knee, did not take
  • total rehab period: more than three years
  • more surgery; more plates (probably has difficulty getting through airport security)
  • his 900-pound lift was fifteen pounds of the national record, 915 pounds
  • this was Andy's first world appearance; only involved in weight lifting since 2019;

***************************
Now, Back to the More Mundane

Holy mackerel. I was gone all morning --- starting / continuing a special project for Sophia. 

I just turned on the television. First thing I see on the CNBC crawler -- UNP ups $7.67 per share; up 3.34%. Are you kidding me? I might come back to this one. 

As readers know, in my blue chip portfolio, my favorite stock holding is SRE, my second, which I have not publicly stated before is UNP. Whoo-hoo.

I've accumulated so much UNP over the years I can retire a fourth time. LOL. 

Seriously, what's going on here? I think I know. It will be mentioned in today's commentary if I ever get around to it.

Other news while I was out:

Here is the Jane Wells' interview I mentioned early. This might be the basis for my commentary later today if I ever get around to it. I don't like getting my news from video but in this case, an exception.

Trump SPAC: I don't know if you all heard but but trading in "the Trump SPAC" was stopped for a short while allowing federal congresswomen and US senators a chance to finish their business before taking a break. Link here

Polar vortex: let's go, Brandon.

Porsche. Link here

Spare capacity: this corroborates my thesis that OPEC does not have spare capacity. From Josh Young over on twitter: it's almost list Kuwait doesn't have the spare capacity that they claimed they had. Link here. A thread worth reading.

2 comments:

  1. They go through periodic efforts to expand capacity to defend bigger proportions of the quota. KUW has way less rigs per amount of production than the US does. It is very rich in oil. But yes, SOME drilling is required.

    And Josh Young is a peak oiler.

    And OPEC+ is withholding millions of bopd. They DO have spare capacity. They just like HIGH PRICES. That's what cartels do. Restrict production to raise price. And they can get away with it since Brandon administration is anti shale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That train of thought left the station in 2014.

      Delete