May 21, 2019: see examples of soaring dividends here.
Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, travel, or relationship decisions based on what you read here or think you may have read here.
For an alternative view:
- US shale boom about to go bust: Nick Cunningham
- US shale: not a revolution, but a retirement party: Art Berman
- some independent US drillers are starting to increase dividends this year
- some of these dividends had been slashed/frozen as a result of the price slump in 2015 and 2016 (the Saudi Surge or "Saudi's trillion-dollar mistake")
- however, publicly-traded US shale companies still underperforming the market in general
- have amassed large amounts of debt
- having trouble raising capital through banks
One, of course, could argue that the US drillers did not need to raise as much capital as in 2015 and 2016.