Tuesday, November 29, 2011

For Willistonites Only -- Virgil Syverson Passed Away Yesterday -- Age 94

Link here.
Virgil Syverson, a beloved teacher and band leader who brought the gift of music to Williston for more than six decades, has died.

Syverson died of natural causes at Mercy Medical Center Monday night at the age of 94.

“Music was his life,” said Williston resident Tom Kvamme, a longtime friend of Syverson. “There’s no other way to describe him.”

Syverson, a Minnesota native, came to Williston in 1947 to head up the music programs at Williston High School.

Widely known as “Mr. Music” in western North Dakota, Syverson was known as a positive influence for thousands of students and an inspiring role model for countless music educators.
Wow, a Williston icon. Perhaps no one more well known.

A bit of trivia: A slight man, Virgil was selected from his unit to be a tank driver in WWII. He served under General George S. Patton. My hunch is that Mr Syverson took no guff from the general. He certainly took no guff from his students. Smile.

As far as I know, Mr Syverson was singularly responsible for "Band Day," perhaps the biggest public celebration in Williston, followed closely by the annual First Lutheran Church Lutefisk dinner held on the coldest day in North Dakota, the last Thursday of every February.

Under Mr Syverson I learned to play the coronet/trumpet ... but not very well. I was so bad, Mr Syverson, always the tactful one, suggested I switch to French horn because he did not have enough French horns. I don't think he ever came right out and told me why he was having me switch; but I knew, and was grateful. I was no longer last chair among nine or ten trumpeters; I was second (of two) French horn players, and sat next to a very wonderful young woman.

Hmmm, passing of a true Williston icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment