Wednesday, July 18, 2012

WTI-Brent-Bakken Spread -- Random Update

A reader asked about the WTI-Brent spread this week. This is the data I show for today. One can find almost any price for spot oil, but the links I use are provided:

North Dakota spot, sweet, light: $67

July 18, 2012: At Bloomberg energy, Brent - $105.95; WTI - $89.83 Spread: $16.
June 18, 2012: At Bloomberg energy, Brent - $95.78; WTI - $83.27 Spread: $12.
June 12, 2012: At Bloomberg energy, Brent - $97.21; WTI - $83.13 Spread: $14.

For recent history of Brent-WTI spread, click here.  

If someone has better links, different numbers, let me know.  Don't send any links I already post, though.

4 comments:

  1. EOG sold my April oil for $105.17 and May oil for $103.61 Benefit of trains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is very, very interesting. EOG, as you know, was one of the first to have a unit oil train terminal in North Dakota -- at least based on a post a long, long time ago. I had also heard that the spread between costs for pipeline and rail had narrowed. Remember, two or three refineries slated for closure near Philadelphia got a new lease on life.

      In addition to everything else, rail is flexible. If a refinery needed light, sweet oil ASAP, they could simply telephone EOG/rail carrier and direct/re-direct the oil. Yes, I know it's way more complicated than that, but ....

      Delete
  2. Just in case you didn't have this one, Bloomberg also has a Bakken Spot.

    http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/USCRUHC1:IND

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you. I don't think I have that one. Very, very happy to have it and I will list it on my Data Links page. You've earned a free subscription to this blog. Smile.

      Delete