Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Anschutz Wells vs OXY USA Wells -- Latest Example -- The Bakken, The Williston Basin, North Dakota, USA

To make up for my embarrassment for having missed this story yesterday, I will re-post it. An alert reader -- thank you very much -- pointed it out to me -- something I had harped on often but missed it when I could have had a great example. No excuses. I blew it.

Yesterday I missed the opportunity to show what a difference it can make with regard to those who have "cracked" the Bakken and those who haven't.

This was one of the fifteen wells released from "tight hole" status yesterday:
  • 19642, 42, Lime Rock/OXY USA, Darlene Dvorak 1-27-34H-143-95, Murphy Creek, a Bakken well, Dunn County; I don't know how OXY keeps doing it --; t12/11; cum 112K 1/17; no production in May, 2013; cum 152K 1/22;
Two years ago, before Anschutz sold their acreage to OXY USA, Anschutz reported this well, exactly two miles to the west of #19642 and in the same field. 
  • 18395, 2,207, Lime Rock/OXY USA, Kathleen Stroh, 1-20-17H-143-95, Murphy Creek, t6/10; cum 229K 1/17; cum 370K 1/22;
I've been thinking of an op-ed piece on this phenomenon; maybe it's time. 

Remember: the IP is only datapoint, and who knows? Maybe the new OXY USA well will end up being a monster well.

4 comments:

  1. How are the cumulative production numbers for these OXY wells vs Anschutz? Sometimes these IP rates can be funky, right? Like trivial amounts of oil produced during flowback as opposed to a true flow test? The well could have done 42bbls during the first 24 hours of flowback and then significantly more as the well cleaned up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct; and it is a point I addressed in the post above and in previous posts.

    Note: I have tagged this post to be followed up in a year.

    There are exceptions, of course, but at least two drillers in the Bakken have stated categorically that IPs correlate directly with EURs.

    And I think most folks agree with Mark Twain on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Held by production can occur based on 40 or 2,000 bopd. This may or not be OXY's strategy, just speculation. But as a MO very close to Murphy creek, I may be weary of leasing in the future. Great blog, Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. One can hold a lease by production with 40 or 2,000 bopd.

      Some have argued that the oil companies won the "land grab" in North Dakota.

      I am a huge supporter of "Big Oil" and "Independent Oil" and "Little Oil," but there are some things beyond the pale. I am ready to go with an op-ed on this, but still thinking about it. Not all the data is in yet.

      Thank you for your kind comments. I hope the blog gets a bit better. I've made a subtle change in the blog that I won't discuss for awhile. I want to see if folks notice the change.

      The change has nothing to do with appearance or "layout" of the blog.

      Delete