Friday, September 18, 2020

Notes From All Over -- Early Morning Edition -- Including My Favorite YouTube Video Of All Time -- September 18, 2020

Yahoo!Mail. See this note. Wow, the spam filter is really acting up. A lot of legitimate e-mail I should have been receiving in my "in-box" ended up in my spam folder, and now a lot of my spam mail, that regularly ends up in the spam folder, is showing up in my in-box. I'll have to talk to Sophia -- see if she has been messing around with my settings. LOL. 

Sophia: I've always had a fairly "strong" password on my mobile devices but about six months ago, I changed my password on my laptop computers (two) and my iPad to a very, very simple password that Sophia could easily master. So, one wonders what she has been up to. LOL. 

Sophia: by the way, it is amazing how much the human brain fixates on numbers. How good the human brain is when it comes to numbers. Remember the old telephone numbers: area code plus seven numbers. I say "old" because most folks have their important numbers on speed dial or emojjied and can't recall any phone numbers any more. I'm pretty sure millennials are not even aware telephone numbers exist. They say AT&T chose "seven numbers because that was the most numbers the average human brain could remember. [Before that, it as "alpha-numeric" as in Greenfield-6072, or GR-6072; and, of course, before that it was "party lines," and before that it was, "Betty Sue, get me the police department."] What a digression. What I was going to say: Sophia knows the four-digit and the six-digit code to my iPhone and iPad. She knows the four-digit code to our back gate at the apartment complex. She knows the four-digit post office box number. I've taught her none of this stuff; she simply watches what I do and remembers those numbers that give her access to important things in life. LOL. 

Covid-19: by the way, this fixation on numbers explains a lot of the Covid-19 fascination. And, of course, TDS, explains a lot also. 

Speaking of numbers, still my favorite: fact-checked by Brian Williams, Rachel Madcow, and the NYT editorial board.

By the way, Brian Williams could claim he knew this all along, simply stringing his guest out -- he, the straight man; she, the comedienne.
Really Bad Math, Brian Williams

NFL: so was there a Thursday night football game? Oh, this is hilarious. Are you kidding me? Yes, there was a game. Americans -- well, at least some of them -- are starved for sports, live sports, anything, even corn-bag tossing. And what does NFL offer us in "week 2 of 17?" Is this correct? Did this really happen or is this an old screenshot? I googled "NFL last night" and this pops up: Cincinnati Bengals, 30 - Cleveland Browns, 35. I was unaware that either of those two teams was even still around. I have to admit that when I was about twelve years old I had one of those electric football games -- the ones where the platform vibrates and little plastic men move downfield -- and my favorite helmet was the Cleveland Browns. Wow, what a digression. [Our family had no money in those days; how my mother could have afforded that game for me for Christmas is beyond me. Even knowing that I wanted that is even stranger. What a great mother I had. Wow.]

PGA: I can hardly wait to see the Tiger Woods documentary today. He tees off at 1:27 p.m. CDT today. They must be saving the best for last. LOL. The Titanic sets sail at 8:07 a.m. CDT. Speaking of which, I noticed that Phil Mickelson has gone through about three wardrobe changes when it comes to his sunglasses. Most of "this season" he has been wearing aviator sunglasses, but then yesterday I noted he was wearing some Oakley-like square things, and then by the end of the day, when the sun would have been directly in the players' eyes, he had removed his sunglasses completely. I was blown away when about mid-round yesterday, one of the color announcers noted that he was the only player wearing sunglasses, and the banter then moved on to whether there was any need to even be wearing sunglasses in New York this time of year. They're not playing on the beach somewhere. And, as long as I've digressed this far, of all the golfers out there, he has the most non-golf, distinctive attire. I assume he has a clothing contract with some blue jeans company. And sunglasses.
 
4:42 a.m. -- time for coffee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment