Thursday, January 31, 2019

Sorry, But I Have Got To Take A Break -- January 31, 2019 -- 9:24 A.M.

I am absolutely overwhelmed with "stuff to report."

I cannot keep up.

On top of that, I'm in an incredibly good mood. For me, that is not a good combination, especially when I am off my meds.

The news coming out of the energy sector is incredible, and the market is doing incredibly well, and the tea leaves suggest the trend will continue.  CNBC, of course, completely misread the jobs report.

The most important financial news for investors: guidance from the Fed. I don't watch CNBC any more but I assume Steve Liesman will talk about that for the entire week. It's an open book test.

Disclaimer: this is not an investment site. Do not make any investment, financial, job, travel, or relationship decisions based on anything you read here or think you may have read here.

Scott Adams has gone off the rails, which means I now have a lot more free time for reading. I won't be listening to him any more, at least not any time soon.

The Big Lebowski tie-in to the Super Bowl -- I have no idea who thought of that -- was brilliant. The Coen brothers are noted for their "regional" movies -- Fargo, being perhaps one of the best -- and if one movie captured Los Angeles in the 60's it was The Big Lebowski. 
Over the course of the Rams' 71-year history, they have won 15 division titles. They have appeared in the postseason 27 times, winning three NFL Championships. During the Super Bowl era, they have played in three Super Bowls, winning one.

Super Bowls the "Rams" played in (note: the year is the season, the Super Bowl is played in the following calendar year):
  • LA: XIV, 1979: lost to the Steelers, 19 - 31
  • St Louis: XXXIV, 1999, won, beating the Titans, 23 -16
  • St Louis: XXXVI, 2001, lost to the Patriots, 17 - 20
And now:
  • LA: LIII, 2018, pending
My copy of Camille Paglia's Provocations showed up at the doorstep yesterday; two days, free shipping.

The book I carry with me now for reading when I stand in line:
  • The Life and Sciecne of Richard Feynman, James Gleick, c. 1992.
Making room for new books on my limited bookshelves, these books are being given to one of the local high schools today:


Original cost: well, I suppose, a reasonable estimate would be $10/book x 30 books, or about $300.

Re-selling to Half-Price Books, I might get $7.50.

My next book: The Landmark Herodotus.

No comments:

Post a Comment